Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Either, I am a lowly tradesman driver and I will take what I can get

Votes: 5 22.7%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
2,103 Posts
5'7" vs 6'4"? I'd presume for most it comes down to utilizing the internal cargo, but you can get a crew cab/long box.

Personal preference, don't like the look(symmetry bias) of the 4th Gen crew cab/shortbox and absolutely despise the 5th Gen quadcab...

·
Registered
2019 1500 Tradesman Crew
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5'7" vs 6'4"? I'd presume for most it comes down to utilizing the internal cargo, but you can get a crew cab/long box.

Personal preference, don't like the look(symmetry bias) of the 4th Gen crew cab/shortbox and absolutely despise the 5th Gen quadcab...
Don't forget the poll!

·
Registered
232 Posts
It all depends on your needs and parking. I live in the mountains of Arkansas and travel quite a bit. So with that I have a crew with a 8ft bed. But when I visit NYC I park it and use my sons car. :p Parking sux in NYC...

·
Registered
132 Posts
The 6'+ beds are now considered to be a "standard" bed and long beds are 8'. If you want a 8' bed then the truck options are very few in terms of the cab. With a 6' plus bed and the tailgate down I have enough room for a 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall and no overhang and no need for a flag. I would never buy a truck with a 5 foot bed.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Each to their own. When I was buying my HD, I was choosing between a mega cab + regular box (sometimes called a short box in HD circles), and a crew cab + log box. Mega cab won, even though at times I do wish I went with a long box. I wish they made a mega cab + long box an option.
My bro on the other hand, when ordering his LD truck, went with a short box option and a bigger cab as he doesn't haul anything large and said he didn't need a larger box, he came from a large SUV (suburban) and is happy with his setup. I couldn't live with a box this short, used to have a Tundra with 6.5' box.

This poll is useless.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Have a 2022 Ram 3500 on order. Since it will mainly be used for towing I went with the 8' long bed as it was the only way to get the optional 50gal fuel tank!
There was no option of a larger tank in 2019 MY, a 50gal tank would have swinged my choice in favour of a long box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2016 crew cab with the short bed (5' 7"?). It meets my needs, including hauling sheets of plywood or sheet rock (just sticks out a little). The crew cabs with the long beds just looked too long to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have never questioned 6.5 or 5.7 bed. I have only regretted owning a 5.7 bed. I use my truck for various things. That extra 9 inches can be the difference between getting the load totally enclosed in the bed or not. Both my trucks are crew cabs one with the 5.7 bed and the other 6.5 bed. I love both trucks BUT hauling I normally use the bigger one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
A few years ago, my wife and I bought an item at an estate sell and it was raining. The only way that it would fit in my truck was with the tailgate down. My wife had her grand cherokee overland and with seats laid down, it fit in the jeep and closed up. So if you don't mind that a jeep can carry more than a 1500 5'7" bed, go for it. My truck was a 2011 1500 4X4 with the 5'7" bed. I now have a 2017 2500 4x4 diesel with the 6'4" bed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The 8 foot bed with the crew cab does make for a big truck...but like anything, you get used to it. I think a school bus probably has a tighter turning radius...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Regular cab/6.5' bed here. My last truck was a 2500 Quad Cab/Cummins. Didn't use the back seat much and I got a great deal on my present truck. 8' bed would have been my preference but $$$ talks and I don't haul long items very often.

·
Registered
2017 RAM 2500 Regular Cab, 8' bed, Steel wheels
6 Posts
Every truck owner has pondered this question at some point. . . .
Ordered a 2017 2500 from the factory. Exclusively for doing work. Did not need a quad cab as I have a car for the boring stuff. 8' bed is also wider as 8' sheets of drywall and plywood lay flat, between wheel wells allowing for tailgate to close! Shorter cab also allows for more payload in bed and heavier towing due to overall lighter weight of vehicle. Order only took 5 weeks to arrive and I didn't pay for any options that I didn't want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I need a crew cab for the family, and short bed is the only one that fits in the garage. No plans to lift, I find myself needing to park in garages with 6'10" limits often... barely fit as-is with the mid rise bed cap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts