DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
does anyone know of an extra capacity oil filter for use on the 6.4L Hemi in a 2017 Ram 2500. I used a Wix 51773 ( 7+"long) on my 2000 Ram 1500 5.9 gas .:doh:

·
Super Moderator
34,702 Posts
I am using Fram XG2s on my 5.7; I think the 6.4s use the same filter interface

Reactions: DustyRoads

·
Super Moderator
34,702 Posts
Barely clears my power steering rack. Then again its a 1500

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Mobil 1 M1-113 is a 20k mile capacity filter and the build quality is excellent. Why would you want a larger filter?

·
Super Moderator
34,702 Posts
Cooler temps from an oil filter is probably a stretch

·
Registered
38 Posts
It may take a while longer to get up to temp but it will not reduce your temps overall. One would have to have a much longer filter for an extra quart of oil. Regardless, it would have minimum effect and most likely not even measurable with the gauges.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2017 Ram 2500HD 6.4L

the xtra quart of oil is what makes for cooler temps.
Oil filters do act as heat sink to a degree-larger surface area to dissapate heat.Their are aftermarket slip-on fins for filters-saw & used them in my old racing days.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Mobil 1 M1-113 is a 20k mile capacity filter and the build quality is excellent. Why would you want a larger filter?
Extra capacity means you don't need to change as often.My old racing days;if something broke,a larger oil filter might catch the fillings before they reached and destroyed more vitals(cams-block oil passageways,etc).

·
Registered
868 Posts
Surface area of filter material folks. Plain and simple. Some extra capacity of oil dont hurt either. I have run a Ford filter on my 4.7, 318 all these motors that take the short filter. If one will fit, they are the same cost, why not have the extra filter element.I have a 5.7 in my 2500 and have definitely been thinking of trying to find a linger filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts