DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok long time owner here looking at a new truck, pro's con's on the 2018 vs 2019-20... options and reliability? My next question would be if I bought a 2018 wouldn't it be a good idea to change the oil before really driving it awhile? If I changed it what does the factory use for initial breakin? I'll probably have more questions but this is my starting point. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
If the 18 is new, there isn't really any reason to change the oil right away. Any moisture would be burned off fairly quickly.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can find a new 2018 on a lot? You really need to look at your budget, which style do you like. They still make the ram classics, Big Horn and Warlock, along with the new ones. The new body style offers more tech gadgets, the crew cab has more leg room in the back than the 4th gen and classic models. I only like the new body style in the sport package, but that is just me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
IF (big if) you can find an '18 with the equipment you like, you should be able to tell them what you will pay and they'll take it! An '18 has been "floor planned" for two years. The dealer has been paying about 5% interest on it all this time, as well as inventory taxes for two years. Not good. Find the actual cost of the vehicle (you can look at the NADA site free and find it) deduct 20% from their COST and offer it.Nine out of ten chances you'll be driving it home. My best friend is the retired Vice President of Loans for the largest chain of banks in the Southwest. He taught me "the game". I was pretty good at negotiating a deal, but NOTHING like I did on my 2011. It was a "hold-over" and I paid WELL below dealer cost,"hold-back", and no Doc fees. They made about $1200 on the truck, they expected to make ten times that much on, Big Horn Quad Cab Hemi all options but the CD changer(they are quite problematic anyway) and heated leather seats. (36L Pkg.) Loaded, Loaded. Oh, it's got the rear-seat entertainment system that's never been turned on, but I didn't pay for it either, dealer installed. It had three window stickers I couldn't remove in one piece from being "cooked on" by the Sun, but "MSRP" was $51999.99 nearly.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.4 Bed
7 Posts
I think the cab interior is roomier on the 19/20 trucks. The engine & wheel options are a bit different too. My preference is actually for the styling of the 2018 and earlier models. Just looks more timeless to my eye.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My question would be to the salesman, why is this 18 still on the lot. Me personally, I got tired of the same old grills on the trucks (I know that there were different versions of, but to me it all pretty much look the same at a distance) . That's why in 2017 when the limited came out with a different grill, I bought it. Now I read on the computer that in 2021, they are bringing back the grill that is on my 17 limited.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 2019 - 2020 weigh a little less than the 2018 and have bigger payload towing ratings. The interiors are nicer and as said above there is more legroom. The drivetrains didn't change much.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I’ve owned three different 4th gen trucks. A 2010 sport, a 2013 express and a really nice loaded up 2014 outdoorsman that I ordered. I now have a 2019 5th gen night edition big horn. My recommendation is if you find a crazy good deal on an 2018 or 2019 classic don’t even drive a 5th gen. The difference in interior, ride, and space in the new ones will make you want it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great ideas, at first I thought the rear seat wasn't a big deal since only person that sits back there is my dog :). I have a quad cab but having a crew cab sure would be nice in case someone else sat back there. I love new tech gadgets and stuff butt I find it hard to let the frogskins go. Like the reminder about looking up NADA and going from there. Appreciate all the feedback.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will say honestly, if a dealership can't live on 7% mark-up from their actual cost, go down the road as there are lots of dealers who can and will. 29 miles from my house, there's a dealer that will ORDER a Ram, Dodge, etc for 5%, but you do have to wait until it's built and shipped, which can be three months (or more right now I guess). I had to wait 33 days for one of my Dakotas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts