DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Hopefully this is a good spot to ask this question, otherwise feel free to point me to something different. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 and I am firefighter. Installing some warning lights in the truck and they have multiple functions. Mode 1 is a single color, Mode 2 changes to dual color. In order to get to mode 2 you have to just touch the wire to a +12v line. I'd like to set it up so that when the truck is in park it is on Mode 1 (easy, just into my existing switchbox I have), then when the truck is in any gear but Park I'd like it to be mode 2 for red and white. So I need to try and locate a circuit that is off while the truck is in park, then on (+12v) when the truck is out of park. Any thoughts? Was thinking of trying to locate the DRL circuit maybe? Also thought about seeing if the ParkSense module would be easy to tap off of but I don't see any wires doing as I described on the module.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,436 Posts
Having the 8 speed(Assumed), the electronic shift solenoid will be a good place to tap . The light on your dial indicator will not be 12V however, so you’re going to need to dig into the TCM module to verify. The issue with modern canbus is that I/O may require draw load feedback to verify proper function.

Good luck, but an external switch might be the easy answer to this one.

Edit-Do you use your parking brake at all? Could you route mode 1 to activate through the dash light output and become mode 2 when released? Might need a little PLC or relay there though. Keep us posted...

Thanks for your service!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts