DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I joined the forum a few days ago and have spend countless hours digesting information in the forums but have not been able to answer one question regarding off road ride yet. I am sure it is in there somewhere I just have not been able to dig it up yet.

I bought a got a brand new 2016 - 2500 - Cummins Diesel last week. We live quite a ways offroad and I also do Search And Rescue volunteering with my dog. Well he does the SAR I just drive him there. So this truck see's offroad everyday.

So far I am loving the truck, but it is a bit of a rough ride offroad. So I was looking to see what I could do to smooth it out a bit.

There is a lot of info raising/lowering/leveling the RAM's but most of those are about 1500's. And I can not find much about smoothing out the offroad ride of a 2500.

Billstein does not seem to sell the 5100 series for trucks that are not raised a few inches. But that seems to only be able to be done with spacers and I really do not want to raise the truck much beyond an inch or so (it still needs to be parked in public garages that seems to be 6'8" around here).

So what are my options to smooth out the ride (front and back)

Do I really need to raise the truck with spacers to put better shocks on it? Is there another way to smooth out the off road ride?

Any suggestions/pointers/head shaking will be appreciated!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Have you checked the tire pressures? Sometimes they are at the max 80 psi which gives a really rough ride. If you're not hauling max payload you can lower the pressure which will give a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It's a 2500 with a cummins, it needs lod range E tires, other than lowering the air pressure, it's a heavy duty truck, it's going to have a stiff ride

·
Registered
142 Posts
that solid front axle and HD springs are going to be tough to smooth out. unfortunately 3/4ton trucks aren't as smooth as there half ton little brother.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wasn't available in Diesel, and the off road capabilities exceed what I would ever do with it. I love my truck, I was just looking to smooth it a bit. Most of my off road is forrest service roads of varying degrees of 'smoothness'.

My simple mind thought better shocks would help, but it is not clear to me if that would do much and the selection of shocks for a 2500 that isn't lifted 2+ inches is pretty limited.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It wasn't available in Diesel, and the off road capabilities exceed what I would ever do with it. I love my truck, I was just looking to smooth it a bit. Most of my off road is forrest service roads of varying degrees of 'smoothness'.

My simple mind thought better shocks would help, but it is not clear to me if that would do much and the selection of shocks for a 2500 that isn't lifted 2+ inches is pretty limited.
Yeah, I love the 6.7, but if I was going to go off-road at any speed, the Power Wagon is better. I want a PW in the garage next to the Cummins. :LOL:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A proposal I will also make to the wife, who will no doubt accept it without questioning!
:smileup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts