Votes: 7 87.5%
  • 08 3.7

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking at getting a new (to me) truck. I have narrowed it down between two. 1 a 05 ram 1500 5.7 hemi 5 speed auto 2wd quad cab with 71,000 miles. It has soft cloth seats. With the driver's seat being power. Here is a link to the truck http://www.chapmanchryslerjeep.com/Las-Vegas-Used-Cars-2005-Dodge-Ram+1500-587787A.htm. They got the description wrong it I a 5.7 hemi.
The other truck is a 08 ram 1500 quad cab with a 3.7 v6, 6??? speed auto, and 2 wheel drive. It has 95,000 miles. It Has a split bench seat with a console that folds up for a 3rd seat upfront. The seats are also cloth but aren't as soft and seam a lot more rugged. It seems like a cleaner truck in general. It also has TRX badging on the rear bedsides. What does that mean? Carfax does show that it has been rear ended at low speed with less then $1000 worth of damage and no airbag deployed. I took it on a extended test drive (the dealer loaned it to me to run some errands I had to do) It road great and tracked straight. Besides the engine seeming a little underpowered for how heavy of a truck it is the only thing it had wrong was a squeak coming from the back left when it went over bumps. Which I will make sure they fix before I buy it if I decide on that one. It did seam like a nice and solid truck though. They want $13,000 for it. It's at a major dodge dealership but I don't have a link to it online. The truck will be my daily driver to work 5 days a week and school 2 nights a week. So reliability is a big concern. With mpg also mattering depending on how vast of a difference there will be. I don't regularly tow and if I do it's usually pulling my friends if they break down or my 76 cj5. I do occasionally haul stuff though. Mainly loads of wooden pallets or trash. I think the 3.7 could handle it sense it wouldn't be a regular thing and my last truck had roughly the same power maybe a little more (92 tbi 350 k1500). I did like how the hemi moved the truck around a lot easier and didn't need as high of rpm or downshift on some hills. Although I really liked the hemi I think it might be more then I really need for a daily driver. But with how much harder the 3.7 works to move the truck I can't see there being a huge difference in mpg. So what are some common problems with these trucks? How dependable are either of these trucks? What are some things to look out for? Plan on going back to take a final look at booth trucks Monday morning and hopefully get one Monday night. I will be getting a warranty on which ever I go with as I will need to depend on it for a few years sense my 76 isn't the most reliable and I'm tired of staying up till 3am working on it so I can get to work at 7am. To anyone who reads this and replies thank you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
For anything 2012 and below I wouldn't touch the V6. Combined with the poor gearing and parasitic loss of the 5 speed and the weight of the truck the 3.7 V6 was very under powered and I have seen people talking about actually getting worse mpg than the Hemi in some cases, It just had to try to hard. The 345 horse '05 5.7 Hemi is not a bad engine.

@Edit - The only real common problem I can recall with 2005 model was with the trucks that had a "Anti-spin" Differential. The C-clip would break and the pieces would get into the gears and grenade the rear ends. Other than that, they tended to be pretty reliable trucks.

@edit - If I read that right, they want $13K for a 08 V6 2wd that has 95K miles and accident history!? That's super nutty crazy talk! Go for the Hemi, at 71K miles it's just getting broke in. Although it is overpriced as well. Around here 2005 like that can be found for less than $10K. With that said, I don't know if there is higher demand for 2wd trucks or not where you are.

Sorry one more @Edit - Just in case you are interested, the build sheet on that 05.
http://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1D7HA18D85J621300

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum zeros52 :wavey:

Good Luck with your quest :smileup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2005 3.7 liter magnum and have put 40,000 on it allot offroad and as my daily driver to school. It is one helluva tough truck for some of the stuff I have done with it and gets great gas mileage even though I have a lead foot most of the time. I believe I get around 18 mpg everything is still working properly and it is always reliable. The power is good I have hauled 2 round bails on a big trailer with it as well as movable water tanks full of water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts