DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering a muffler swap. I currently have a Flowmaster Super 44 SISO welded in place of the stock muffler. I really like the aggressive sound and it's not really too loud but it does have pretty good drone in the cab and it also really brings attention to my 4.7 having to downshift and rev higher to maintain speed. So I have been thinking I might like something a little quieter. I found a vid that I like on youtube of a Magnaflow but it's a 22" and I'm afraid it might be too quiet (it's hard to judge from an online video). A little quieter than the Super 44 would be nice but I don't want it as quiet as stock. Any thoughts? Maybe an 18" Maggie? Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been listening to youtube vids all evening...hope my boss doesn't ask me what I did tomorrow, lol. I am really leaning towards a Magnaflow 11259 18" SISO replacement. Any thoughts on how this will compare to my Super 44? Also, the Maggies are listed as "reversible for custom installation". Does that mean they can be installed either way and sound the same? The 11259 is an offset in, center out and I need the opposite.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Magnaflow seems to be quieter than the Flowmasters, think its because of the way they are made. I was going to install a di/do Magnaflow on my truck but decided to go with Race Bullets instead. I think you would be satisfied with a Magnaflow, but may I suggest an 11" or 14" instead. You should get more sound out of it with a shorter muffler, some may argue that but it hasn't failed me in the past.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,519 Posts
I have the magna flow cat back system with 22" and it is definately louder than stock but still quiet enough for cruzing. also comes with some sexy 5" s/s tips to make it look so much beefier. But in the end its you that has to decide jusy how loud you want it

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I would love to have a cat-back system but for money reasons I'm probably going to stick with the simple replacement muffler and a new stainless tip. I know the size of the muffler changes the tone somewhat but it also affects how loud it will be, right? On the same vehicle with the same exhaust setup a shorter Magnaflow will always be louder than a longer one won't it? That's kind've why I am leaning towards the 18". I was thinking it should be a tad louder than the 22" that I liked on youtube but still noticeably quieter than my Flowmaster which is a 14" muffler. I'm a little afraid that the 14" Magnaflow won't be noticeably quieter than my Flowmaster.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
There's no need for a cat back, the cat back is basically identical to the stock system with a muffler swap. The maganflow is "reversible" because it is a straight through design, not baffled or chambered. You will get more flow/power from the magnaflow (or any other straight through). IMO the straight through mufflers are quiet at idle and low (cruising) rpms but loud at heavy throttle times.

You may want to check out dynamax (maybe it's dynomax?) they are good straight through mufflers, they have a muffler that has a valve in it that is spring actuated and the valve closes at low rpms and directs exhaust flow to a chambered area to quiet it down but opens at high rpms to allow as straight path to allow more exhaust flow and noise. Similar setup to the stock c6 corvette mufflers, and many others...

·
Registered
78 Posts
There's no need for a cat back, the cat back is basically identical to the stock system with a muffler swap. The maganflow is "reversible" because it is a straight through design, not baffled or chambered. You will get more flow/power from the magnaflow (or any other straight through). IMO the straight through mufflers are quiet at idle and low (cruising) rpms but loud at heavy throttle times.

You may want to check out dynamax (maybe it's dynomax?) they are good straight through mufflers, they have a muffler that has a valve in it that is spring actuated and the valve closes at low rpms and directs exhaust flow to a chambered area to quiet it down but opens at high rpms to allow as straight path to allow more exhaust flow and noise. Similar setup to the stock c6 corvette mufflers, and many others...
^ yup

Magnaflow or Dynomax. Straight through design. Deep deep LOW rumble at idle and even gets quieter when cruising around town. but when you put the gas peddle down it'll scare little kids and old people. I personally run a Dynomax. Never been happier with a muffler. You also dont get that high pitched "pinging" noise under heavy acceleration like you get with chambered mufflers, i.e. Flowmaster.

:smileup:

oh and mines a 17" Si/Do dumped right in front of the rear axle. I dont like the look of tips hanging out the back end of a truck.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ yup

Magnaflow or Dynomax. Straight through design. Deep deep LOW rumble at idle and even gets quieter when cruising around town. but when you put the gas peddle down it'll scare little kids and old people. I personally run a Dynomax. Never been happier with a muffler. You also dont get that high pitched "pinging" noise under heavy acceleration like you get with chambered mufflers, i.e. Flowmaster.

:smileup:

oh and mines a 17" Si/Do dumped right in front of the rear axle. I dont like the look of tips hanging out the back end of a truck.
That sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I'm not a huge fan of pipes out the back either except on the new Rams with the sport bumper. Mine is run out the stock location and I like it a lot. It would be nice to do a SI/DO and have it out both sides but I'm pinching pennies so I can spread some money elsewhere on my truck.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just ordered a Magnaflow 18" oval muffler (#11259) from Summit. Hope to get it installed Friday and will update then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good luck with the MagnaFlow, I think you'll like it. If the drone is still too much (I don't think it will be), try installing some sound dampening material in your cab. It helps a bunch.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang, Summit Racing has some fast shipping! I ordered it at 9:55 P.M. Monday and my muffler and tip arrived today....with free shipping. Granted, it was only coming from GA to NC. Install appointment set for in the morning. I already got the "Magnaflow Performance Exhaust" decal in the corner of my back window, lol. Will update.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update....Well I got it put on today and while I haven't really had time to drive around much I thought I would update with my initial impression.

First, I'm surprised at how loud it is. When I first started it up I wondered if they had actually changed it, lol. It is just a tad bit quieter than the Super 44....barely.

Second, it is a tad bit deeper than the Super 44. It really has a VERY similar tone but has less "sharpness" to it if that makes any sense. It has more of a muffled bass sound than the Flowmaster.

As I said, I haven't driven it but about ten minutes and I haven't gotten it on the interstate yet but my initial thought is that I am happier with the sound/tone of the Magnaflow over the Flowmaster. The only thing I might have done different was get the 22" case to quieten it down a tad more. Hopefully I will like it even more after I get a chance to drive it in some varied driving situations including the interstate.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Okay, final update. After driving the truck quite a bit today on varied roads and speeds I can say that I am very happy with the Magnaflow. Now that I have heard it more I can tell that it is actually a fair amount quieter than the Super 44. Just like everyone said, it's fairly quiet and unobstrusive until you get on it then it has a great, deep muscle car tone. Also, it may just be my imagination but it seems like the truck has a little more power down low. And the EVIC is showing me up about 1.5 mpg from what it normally shows...but I would want to do a few tanks of hand calculation before I present that as fact.

Long and short....I have always liked Flowmaster and still think they make a great sounding muffler but I believe I just converted!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.