DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 1500 5.2L Manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble finding a replacement shifter assembly for my 98 1500. All the ones I find only state they fit 94-97. Is the 98 actually different? Does anyone have the part number?

None of the local parts stores are any help. Rockauto doesn't even list it :confused:

Output device Font Audio equipment Gadget Electronic device

·
Registered
1998 1500 5.2L Manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took the shift tower apart to examine it today. It definitely looks different from the pictures on the listings for 94-97.

Hand tool Tool Bumper Gas Ruler

Musical instrument Bell Idiophone Red Gas

Red Gas Auto part Leather Fashion accessory

Finger Font Artifact Metal Fashion accessory

Hand tool Tool Needle-nose pliers Wrench Wood

The numbers I found on it weren't of any help.

According to moparpartsgiant.com the part number for it should be 5003211AA, but all the listings I find for that part number look different than what's on my truck. Notably the housing is shorter and ball end looks a little different, too. It's also insanely expensive compared to the 94-97 version 😕
Product Font Engineering Household hardware Auto part

What's worse is after dissembling shift tower, I'm not sure it's the culprit of my symptoms as the bushings don't look worn and it seems pretty tight.

I suppose I should have led with the problem I'm having... Sometimes it's hard to get into gear. Almost as if the shifter doesn't have quite enough throw. 1-3-5 are the worst. 2-4-R are less troublesome.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Years ago I ran into a similar problem (not on a Ram). It wasn’t the shift tower but rather the transmission itself was hard shifting. In addition you mentioned that it doesn’t have enough throw. Check the engine and transmission mounts, and the linkage from the tower to the trans.

·
Registered
1998 1500 5.2L Manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the engine and transmission mounts, and the linkage from the tower to the trans.
Transmission mount crossed my mind as well, but the tower bolts directly onto the transmission, and the stalk directly to that. If the mount was flexing it would just move the whole thing with it.

I'm a bit worried the shift forks might be bent or something. I don't know if there's any way to tell that without tearing it down.

·
Registered
1998 1500 5.2L Manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I found the correct shift assembly... NV26375, 04886199AB
According to the Mopar part number it's for the 98-02 v6 1500s, but that really does look like the correct one. It also looks similar to the Cheby nv3500 shifter, but not quite.

Allstate Gear was the only place I could find that had it. I ordered one and will confirm fitment. Even if it turns out to not fix the issue, I can just stick it on the shelf for later.

·
Registered
1998 1500 5.2L Manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My previous description of my issue wasn't quite accurate... It actually feels more like the shiftier locks up. It's intermittent, most of the time shifting fine, but sometimes it feels like I suddenly lose the necessary throw. The lever doesn't move as far as it was before. After a lot of wiggling and cussing it, I'll eventually get it into a gear and it'll work fine for awhile again.

Anyways, while I'm waiting on the new shift tower to get in I made a video on how to take one off and inspect it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts