DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.
Im still fairly new around here but have been a RAM owner for about 6 months now and i am finally wanting to get some mods under the hood done.
There is a shop here in town that is going to install the Flowmaster 40 series muffler on my 2011 RAM 1500 2WD 4.7L for $350.00 plus tax.
Then I got a hook up on a K&N CAI for rougly $260.00 plus tax.
I am also wanting to get a chip for the truck but this is all like another language to me. From what I can gather the Superchip Flashpaq 3842 is probably going to be my best option but like I said I am not sure.
If I get the horsepwer gains that these products say I will gain I am looking at adding roughly 10 HP for the K&N CAI, and 85 HP/ 235 lbs. of torque from the chip. So that will put me running 405 HP and 565 lbs. of torque. Will I run into any issues with other parts of the motor failing if I add this much without upgrading anything else?
If anyone has a similar set up, or any other set up ideas please let me know!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
You might want to do some research on that chip. I find it hard to believe a chip will boost you that much hp and torque. You might be looking at the diesel ones. If you started running that much torque you would be starting to look at transmission and differential upgrades too. CAI companies say you will get 10hp at most be in reality you are looking at a couple.

·
8,070 Posts
As Viking alluded to realistically the CAI is giving you a couple horsepower and that's only at max RPM. Under normal driving you aren't seeing any gains with it. No way will you see those numbers out of a tuner on a gas truck either... not even close. You're looking at somewhere in the range of 20-30 hp and maybe 30-40 ft-lbs max. Again, that's all in the high RPM range.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What they said. Also you can leave the k&n on the shelf and just get a drop in filter. Then mod your air hat and the tubing that runs from the stock air box to the throttle body. You'll see better gains and save $200. The dodge air box is a better cold air intake than any you can buy Cuz it actually takes in cold outside air and not hot air from the engine bay. I have the same engine as you and i can vouch for superchips. You'll see noticeable gains using just 87 octane and real nice gains with 93. Between 20-30hp and the same in torque. The biggest change will be in the way the transmission shifts. It keeps the truck in its powerband instead of letting it fall on its face.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I have been doing some research on the chips and the gains that most people are getting are similair to what you guys are saying- somewhere between 20-30 HP. Like I said when I was looking at the chip the "box" said 85+HP and 235+ LBs of torque.
I have seen where other people are talking about modding the current CAI that Dodge has in there what is it that you guys are doing to see the increase with the stock CAI??

·
Registered
306 Posts
It takes some work if you not looking to do tons of work go with gears either 4.10s but 4.56s make the truck feel much lighter if you look at my Sig you can see most of the 4.7 mods

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chips are complete garbage. Waste of money. Get a tuner. Something completely tunable.
Cold air is a waste as well without other mods
Here is a good start:
Power Aid throttle body spacer
Full K&N cold air with heat shield
Full dynomax 3inch exhaust (flomasters test the worst on a dyno for the 4.7 and 5.7) dynomax tests the best for HP and torque
Diablo sport intune I1000

All of this is good for about 70 hp +

·
Registered
13,682 Posts
TB spacers are a waste of money.

Cold air intakes aren't worth the money on these trucks as the stock intake is very good already. Replacing with an aftermarket hi flow filter wouldn't hurt and is only roughly $50. I'd recommend a dry filter as opposed to oiled (messy). There's several good brands. You won't gain much performance but it's nice just to have a reusable/washable filter.

Flowmasters are ok but typically not a huge performance increase. I'd highly recommend a different brand like a magnaflow, dynomax, etc (straight through muffler). They will perform the best. The bigger the muffler the quieter and less drone. Stock exhaust is stainless steel and mandrel bent, which performs good and will last the life of the truck in most cases. The muffler is really the only restriction(other than manifolds and y pipe but I don't think you're looking into replacing those). Most muffler shops will use mild steel crush bent pipe which will rot away quickly and the crush bends will reduce performance. Be aware of what you're paying for, many people pay money to remove the great stock exhaust piping and replace it with mild steel junk.

A superchips tuner is probably right up your alley. I usually don't throw out just one brand name, but they have the best canned tunes by far. A good tuner (not a chip that you see advertised on ebay or on a banner at the top of the website) is probably the only cheap mod that you can believe the hp gains. The superchips 93 performance tune adds nearly 70hp(max, not peak) on it's own, and it is real. Diablo(and others) is a good product but I've used both on my 4.7 and the SC canned tunes blew diablo's out of the water. Plus you get trans control.

With a good tuner, intake, and exhaust you MIGHT gain ~40-50 peak hp at most. Most people over inflate hp number gains(as shown above).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts