DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I'm the proud owner of a broken down 06 1500 3.7l. Transmission went out and to me it's just not worth it to think about fixing so I get to buy another one. This time I'm not letting the salesman talk new into a V6 for better gas mileage and I want a Hemi. I've been looking and there seems to be a lot of 2014 1500s out there but after some research I see that this year had transmission issues when it was released so I ask for input. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Any input will help.
The one that has my eye right now is a 2014 1500 Crew cab Sport 4x4 5.7L with I think 3.21 ratio but I could be wrong. I won't be towing anything YET but I work construction and have tons of space to have a little dirt fun on the weekends. The truck is beautiful and I think it's the one so I'd appreciate and pointers you could give before I go all in.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Find a mechanic with a top of the line scan/test tool, who knows how to use it, and pay him/her for an hour to check the truck out thoroughly.
Do NOT be influenced by feelings about the vehicle being "beautiful". (This is important and isn't just a RAM thing.)

Also, read the comment threads here about the cam/lifter failure issues with the Hemis, starting in model year 2011 and going thru, probably, 2016 or so.

Also: Service records? Previous owners and their location (possibility of flood damage among other things)?

You don't mention price or mileage or who is selling it, but either way don't believe anything for which there is not documented backup or evidence, especially verbal promises.

Finally, and most important of all, be willing to walk if something doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is exactly what I was talking about. Thank you! It's listed at $26k with 58k miles. It's at a dealership I've purchased from previously but I trust no salesmen lol.

Great advice, thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Find a mechanic with a top of the line scan/test tool, who knows how to use it, and pay him/her for an hour to check the truck out thoroughly.
Do NOT be influenced by feelings about the vehicle being "beautiful". (This is important and isn't just a RAM thing.)

Also, read the comment threads here about the cam/lifter failure issues with the Hemis, starting in model year 2011 and going thru, probably, 2016 or so.

Also: Service records? Previous owners and their location (possibility of flood damage among other things)?

You don't mention price or mileage or who is selling it, but either way don't believe anything for which there is not documented backup or evidence, especially verbal promises.

Finally, and most important of all, be willing to walk if something doesn't feel right.
I never get aftermarket warranties but after reading a few pages of the cam/lifter issues I think I may buy one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts