DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey i was intrested in buying my first ram but not sure what to look for and how many miles is too many miles and what not. Im looking for the years 96 to 98 but not very expensive due to the lack of cash. I heard they last years so any info would be great. Also looking for a manual 2500

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where are you located? The trucks in the rust belt do not hold up well do to road salt.
Im in texas should i stick to trucks in the south?
I'm in North Texas and I bought a 97 1500 5.9l auto 4x4 last year and it's been great. Don't get me wrong, it's a POS work truck right now, but I'm getting it there. I bought it for $1650 at 215xxx with a supposedly rebuilt engine and transmission, (done by the sellers so the quality of the record is anyone's guess) sloppy steering iconic of the older rams, sloppy suspension, 4x4 wouldn't engage, barely passable tires, no a/c, no dash to speak of (good luck finding one in TX) spongy brakes, only one working speaker, and a random cylinder misfire that I still haven't figured out to this day. I drove it an hour home, did about 8hrs of towing that weekend, mostly with an empty trailer but about 2hrs I was towing a jeep wrangler. It did just fine through all of it. Almost a year and a half later of daily driving and it's never left me on the side of the road. Not once. Things keep breaking, my power steering pump is going out right now and sounds god awful, and I still have that misfire, but it runs great besides that. I've never owned a stronger work horse vehicle than this truck, it just keeps going and going.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Find a heavy duty 2500, junk about half of it, then build a truck from the ground up. Dashboards show up in Maine at Dodge graveyard on facebook. They have everything you can imagine and then some. Got a lot of my stuff there to build my HD2500 with magnum 360, NV 4500 and 4:10 gears. Most everything else came from ebay and local yards. Borgeson steering system with pump and all made a big difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey i was intrested in buying my first ram but not sure what to look for and how many miles is too many miles and what not. Im looking for the years 96 to 98 but not very expensive due to the lack of cash. I heard they last years so any info would be great. Also looking for a manual 2500
FYI the first half of 1998 uses the 24 valve Cummins diesel 1994 till then use the 12 valve Cummins which I prefer. Think diesel, you can’t go wrong. They are more powerful than a gas engine. And they last longer if you take care of them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
FYI the first half of 1998 uses the 24 valve Cummins diesel 1994 till then use the 12 valve Cummins which I prefer. Think diesel, you can’t go wrong. They are more powerful than a gas engine. And they last longer if you take care of them.
Correction. The LAST half not the first half. Sorry for the misinformation

·
Registered
748 Posts
You might look at original post dates.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Why would you do a thing like that? It's only a 3 year old thread! :sleep: I really think people don't know how forums work. They are on social media to much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts