DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and I figured I'd ask a few opinions first. I've never been a Dodge owner, but I've had a few people that have changed my mind. Currently own a nice 05 GMC 2500HD. I like my truck but I think it's time to update. Here's what I'm looking at ordering:

2014 Ram 2500 4x4 BigHorn 5.7L. Has all the bells and whistles like heated steering wheel, aux switches, 8.4 screen, buckets, cab lights, etc.

I get a hefty discount so I'm not going to say the price unless someone really wants to know. My main question is how is the 5.7 in the 2500? I was thinking about getting the 6.4 but for an additional $1500 it only has 27 more hp and 29 more lb-ft of torque, which doesn't seem to justify itself. I was going to go with the Cummins but I cant program it without voiding warranty and it's an extra $8k. So what does everyone think? 5.7 or 6.4? What options should I consider a "must have""? Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went with the 6.4. I currently own a 5.7 1500 and it's barely enough engine and not enough payload for what I do. The fuel economy is supposed to be better, along with hp and trq gains I figured why not.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Probably depends on how you will use the truck. My opinion is that the 5.7, as configured in the 1500s, is perhaps not the perfect truck engine for heavy use. I had a 2005 and now have a 2014. I love the truck but the engine seems more like a car engine to me. The grunt and power seems to come on as the engine revs. I would imaging the 2500 would have different cams to lower the torque curve in the RPM range but I am guessing. Hopefully, someone with direct knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have what the 2500 with the 5.7 and I got it for the same reason you talked about. I couldn't spend the $1500 on an engine that doesn't provide me with much more. It seems there is a lot of power in the low end and once you get up to speed it is responsive as hell, meaning I step on the gas to pass someone and that tank of a truck is scootin'! I say save your money and get the 5.7l. Let Ram work out any kinks they might have and next the you go to get a new truck look at the 6.4. I haven't seen any real fuel economy numbers but I didn't buy this thing to save gas.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a 2011 Ram 2500 crew cab with the 5.7. I found it to be the right truck for me. I pulled an enclosed car trailer with a 4500+ car to car shows up to 500 miles away. It
never let me down. As for the engine being designed for the 1500,bull! With the right
gearing,it is as much an engine for the 2500 as the 1500. I now do not pull my trailer,
as I have sold my car. I have gone to the 1500. I can feel the difference in torque between the 2 trucks. The 1500 is faster off the line,but that is not why you buy the 2500!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Because everyone's ideal of performance is different, it's best for you to go test drive the different configuration...

And with that said, if you feel, after the test drives, the 5.7 is enough with tall gears, I'd get the next lower gear... If the 5.7 already has the lowest gears available, then get the 6.4... It's going to hurt, if you find that what you thought was enough isn't, after driving it for a while...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went and drove a 6.4 yesterday. I liked it a lot and I thought it was peppy for its size. Still on the fence. Unfortunately I had to drive a Tradesmen so I couldn't tell what my instant fuel economy was, but like mentioned, I'm not buying the thing to save gas.
To answer a few questions, the truck will be mostly used for pulling trailers and pushing snow. Not extremely heavy trailers and mostly under 6,000lbs, with the exception of pulling a bobcat every once in a while.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. I liked the gearing in the 6.4 MUCH better than I liked it in the 5.7. I think I'm going to go with the 6.4. I also wanted to know how you like the Maximum Steel metallic? I was going to go white but I saw that color online yesterday and I think that's what I'm going to get. Need to see it in person first though...

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
If i were pull a bobcat, i'd want the 2500
if i lived where it snows quite a bit, i'd get a 2500 to work a plow

if the 6.4 has a camshaft that makes more torque at lower RPMs, i would get it
the 2500 is a work truck
the 1500 is basically a car with a huge trunk & at this time, it is what i need

EWW, have you looked at a white truck after driving around in dirty snow ??

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree. I liked the gearing in the 6.4 MUCH better than I liked it in the 5.7. I think I'm going to go with the 6.4. I also wanted to know how you like the Maximum Steel metallic? I was going to go white but I saw that color online yesterday and I think that's what I'm going to get. Need to see it in person first though...
You mean this color?

I love it! Black is my favorite, but it's to hard to keep clean and you see tons of swirls from washing it. So far, Max Steel is really good for me.. In dim light, it looks black. In bright light, it changes, depending on the angle... It's also easy to keep clean...

Years ago, I liked Black and White equally.. I had a white car and the paint got stained from a wet leaf.. After that, I dropped white.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts