DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a laramie I might take a look at with very low miles. It has the 5.7 in it. Crew cab loaded. What should I be looking for when I check this thing out? My old man just bought a 14 mega cab laramie longhorn and it's pretty sweet. I'm currently in a 16 silverado half ton. Any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check for any fluid leaks around transmission, engine oil pan, rear differential. Take it for a test drive and make sure steering tracks straight and true. Check for any painted over corrosion. Good luck. How many miles? Some have reported cam and lifter issues with MDS 5.7 liters, but i've mainly heard of this in the half tons. Otherwise should be a solid truck with a lot more suspension than a half ton.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just picked up a higher mileage 2500 2012 model with 5.7. From what I have been able to gather the 2500 and 3500 5.7 do not have the mds. I would say almost every lifter/cam woes were on mds motors. Some just have not said what they are in. If your hauling a lot of heavy stuff the 5.7 may not be enough. The 6.4 does have MDS I think. Good luck. So far mine has been good, but I have only had it a couple weeks.

·
Super Moderator
34,387 Posts
For what some people want a 3500 for, the 5.7 doesn't have enough power (heavy towing) but its a good engine; I have a 5.7L crew cab 3500 stakebed at work.

FWIW cam failures have been reported on HD 5.7s which do not have MDS. Cam failure has nothing to do with MDS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For what some people want a 3500 for, the 5.7 doesn't have enough power (heavy towing) but its a good engine; I have a 5.7L crew cab 3500 stakebed at work.

FWIW cam failures have been reported on HD 5.7s which do not have MDS. Cam failure has nothing to do with MDS.
AH Like I said most of posts I have read delt with MDS vehicles. I would agree if your doing a bunch of heavy towing, say a fiver RV I would look to a bigger motor.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so change of plan. I found a 2018 2500 laramie sport with 26 k on the clock. it's loaded minus a bedlinen and tonneau. the clearance lights don't appear on the build sheet. Anything I should be concerned about with regards to that or anything else. This has the 6.4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts