DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend was warm enough to give the truck a good washing in the driveway when I noticed that dreaded petroleum rainbow in the driveway. Brought my truck in the garage, and tossed a piece of cardboard underneath to try and pinpoint what appeared to be a leak.

When the dealership changed the oil for the first time, the mechanic doing the oil change failed to tighten the oil filter! Seeing that the oil appeared to be coming from in or around the oil filter, I reached underneath and it was loose enough to unscrew with my bare hand!!!!!!!!!! :SHOCKED:

I've got oil blowing all underneath my truck now. Luckily, it doesn't appear like I've lost too much oil, and as easy as it damn near came unscrewed in my hand I'm thinking it's also not cross threaded, or a defective filter.

It's been a couple days, and the blood pressure has come down a bit but a little discussion with the Service Manager is in my near future. :nunu:

Part of me wants nothing to do with this dealer again, but part of me feels someone needs a good ass chewing or retraining. I kinda wanna force them to make this right, and watch them remove the oil filter in my presence. Make sure it's not cross threaded, and watch them degrease the bottom of my truck.....that would be a good start. But seriously... C'Mon Man!!!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
That definitely should not have happened.Let the service manager know what happened.They should replace the filter and clean your truck.....Rob

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I agree, head up to the dealer and demand to speak with the service manager. This type of shoddy workmanship is how engines get blown/ locked on on a new vehicle.

Exco

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
This past weekend was warm enough to give the truck a good washing in the driveway when I noticed that dreaded petroleum rainbow in the driveway. Brought my truck in the garage, and tossed a piece of cardboard underneath to try and pinpoint what appeared to be a leak.

When the dealership changed the oil for the first time, the mechanic doing the oil change failed to tighten the oil filter! Seeing that the oil appeared to be coming from in or around the oil filter, I reached underneath and it was loose enough to unscrew with my bare hand!!!!!!!!!! :SHOCKED:

I've got oil blowing all underneath my truck now. Luckily, it doesn't appear like I've lost too much oil, and as easy as it damn near came unscrewed in my hand I'm thinking it's also not cross threaded, or a defective filter.

It's been a couple days, and the blood pressure has come down a bit but a little discussion with the Service Manager is in my near future. :nunu:

Part of me wants nothing to do with this dealer again, but part of me feels someone needs a good ass chewing or retraining. I kinda wanna force them to make this right, and watch them remove the oil filter in my presence. Make sure it's not cross threaded, and watch them degrease the bottom of my truck.....that would be a good start. But seriously... C'Mon Man!!!!
Would this happen to be an FX Caprara or Fuccillo dealership? Those guys are notorious for this crap.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me the first oil change. Filter was super loose and dripping. They also wrecked the green O ring on the oil filler cap. Ive been changing my own oil and saving the reciepts ever since!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've changed my oil before and have had this sh1t happen to me. I swore I hand tightened it but some how it came a bit loose. However, I noticed quick enough (about 3k miles later) for it not to come so loose that oil sprayed everywhere.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I ONLY take my truck to the dealership for Warranty issues. All service is done by me because I like doing it and know it's done right with the best fluids/filters.

They probably gave you that first oil change for free, which I can see why you'd take it but from now on, DIY FTW :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would have them change the oil again but watch it done. I worked at a dealership and one of the new techs did a oil change. Vehicial came back on a hook. Come to find out when he changed the filter the old oring seal stayed on the block and he put the new filter on and had a second seal. Nuff said

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have them change the oil again but watch it done. I worked at a dealership and one of the new techs did a oil change. Vehicle came back on a hook. Come to find out when he changed the filter the old o-ring seal stayed on the block and he put the new filter on and had a second seal. Nuff said
This is exactly what I was thinking. Coincidentally I'm heading there later today. I'll be sure to post the outcome guys...thanks for the insight. :smileup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
My uncle had a nice Toyota pickup trashed because the mechanic didn't tighten the
filter. The mechanic's insurance bought him a new engine.

Had a fellow I know not tighten his filter enough on his Ford Ranger, and his wife had it seize up on her not far from home.

Simple thing, but not uncommon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would definitely have a talk with the service manager. If it were me I'd keep my cool and see what they will do for you. People are humans and humans make mistakes. Explain to them that you and they are both fortunate you caught their mistake on time. See what they have to say. At the least I'd want the undercarriage cleaned and the oil topped off. Maybe they'll offer a free service as a courtesy.
In '97 I bought a new Ram 1500. I took it in for the 1st service. When they brought the truck around for me to take I noticed that they lubed the door hinges and had oil spray on my factory running boards. I went in and told the service manager. He came out and looked, then went in and got the mechanic that did the job and nicely explained to him this is not the way they do things. They cleaned it up and refunded my complete payment and assured me it would not happen again. The whole thing was handled in a professional manner and I was glad the service manager did not make the mechanic look like an ass in front of me. I was happy with the results and we were on good terms for as long as I went there.
Even though your situation could have been a real serious matter as well as a dangerous one I would not burn bridges until they have the opportunity to make things right.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
I ONLY take my truck to the dealership for Warranty issues. All service is done by me because I like doing it and know it's done right with the best fluids/filters.

They probably gave you that first oil change for free, which I can see why you'd take it but from now on, DIY FTW :)
^^^ My Sentiments Exactly :goodpost7td:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Diy

The whole reason I ended up becoming a certified motorcycle technician was due to having no confidence on the work the tech at the shops did. Loose filters, loose drain plugs, no oil, wrong services done, it goes on and on. And, in my experience, and I'm just talking bikes here, 85% of the techs at the dealerships suck to this day. If you are at all anal about your vehicles, do the work yourself. It's good for the peace of mind. Or, if you find a good mechanic, bring him coffee, bring beer, bring donuts and cherish your good luck.:smileup:

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I always have the dealership do my routine maintenance,
I buy my own engine oil & filter & take it to them
They can never say that i didn't service my Ram on their schedule & i don't have to keep any records.
I sometimes have to take a day off to do it, but most times i don't get a call to go to work on the day i choose anyway. My apartment unit sort of frowns on anyone working on a vehicle anyway. On weekends i have better things to do than lay under a truck & getting dirty

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
In my experience the tech that is doing the oil changes is usually the "new guy on the block". I understand what a learning curve is but I wished they would do the learning on someone elses vehilce--not mine!
Jay

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
LOL
Janitor promoted to tire man, tire man promoted to routine service tech
Then they have to get sent to school to go higher, or become a sales person
LOL

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

Just came from the dealer. Rather than acting like the "junkyard dog" I've been known to be, I calmly asked to speak with the service manager. He came out from his office, introduced himself and gave me his business card. After explaining how I found oil under the truck, and concluded that the filter was loose he looked me straight in the eye and said "we will make this right." He thanked me for bringing my truck back to them, and explained that I'm the third customer who's had a loose / leaking filter. I was like huh? :Wow1:

He claimed that Chrysler advised them that some filters were either defective, or not up to spec allowing them to leak or come loose. He said they will be sending my filter back to them for verification. They immediately took my keys and brought my truck into an empty service bay drained the oil putting a fresh filter and new oil. I think I waited maybe 15-20 to do this.

I have to say....other than having to go through this the service manager did everything right, said everything right, and took care of (me) the customer. :smileup:

I'm not completely sure what to make of the filter story, but if there is any truth to what he's saying.....keep an eye on your OEM filter. I know I'm gonna be a little gun shy after this experience, and might even consider changing my oil myself again. The other thing he pointed out was that these filters are hand tightened. Showed me a little picture diagram on the filter about snugging them down, and then hand tightening another 3/4 turn. Weird...any truth to this guys? :4-dontknow:

Dealer:
Fox Auburn Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
Auburn, NY

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
Most filters that I have seen changed at the dealership I go to(the tech that does mine is a level 4) the tech hand tightens them. They smug them up pretty tight though. Seldom do I see then use a filter wrench to tighten them. Not anything like how tight the first filter is from the factory. They must have a 400lb. dude with an impact wrench put them on.
Jay

1 - 20 of 31 Posts