DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SS/T and i been noticing my gas meter hits the 1/4 mark normaly around 230 miles (Using trip counter).Then I notices its getting less and less milage. Currently it hits the 1/4 tank left mark at 175 miles. Most recently i know my meter like to drop when i touch the gas pedal. It will go back to where it was if i come to a dead stop or it will go close it was before when off gas pedal but still rolling.

Im trying to figure if its my gas meter, its something mechanical in the motor or both.

Do you know what would be causing this?????

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Most likely it's the float in the gas tank moving around. I only gauge how much gas I have left when I'm at a dead stop. The only alternative is to drop the tank and swap out the entire assembly (gas gauge, fuel filter, fuel pump, all one unit) and I'm not doing that much work and expense till it is absolutely needed.

E

·
0 Posts
And don't forget your truck is now being fueled with winter blend fuels, notorious for lowering fuel mileage due to additional additives that are combustible but do take up volume. That means you have less fuel per gallon than you did this Summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts