DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, went to the store today and back, all's cool..... Left again to another store, came out put the baby and groeceries in.... Put the key in and got the normal buzzing/dingings/dash lights...ect, but when I turned the key to start everything went dead, released the key and back to all the normal buzzing/dingings/dash lights, several times????? WTF is going on now? There is no turning over or anything, just straight up DEAD???? finally it kicked over and drove home with no issues, so what would cause this? I dont want to be out and stuck stranded with the baby somewhere.....:att:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You lost all power? No cunk or click? Id check all bat connections, batt charge also check connections on starter. By the way. If its starter use lots of pb blaster. The 4x4 on the farm needed one it took a long bar pb, a 20lb sledge to free it from the stud on the bottom stud.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just posted another thread on this... sometimes it gets a slight ticking sound with dim indicator lights but mainly nothing, when key is turned to start everything just goes pitch black.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went out wiggling everything and nothing, so I gathered my head together and went to basics. Opened the power distributor box and wiggled the starter relay, lo and behold she fired up. Guess I need to replace every relay in this truck since thats what I have been finding so far. Just a few more left anyways...lol Hopefully this was the issue and it wont happen again.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Make sure bat has a good ground, connections at starter are good, as is battery in good shape then move to the fuse/relay panel under hood. There might be a bad relay or corrosion on the connection that goes to the block its self. Then just keep moveing back in curcit till you find the little grimln basterd andkill it!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Good hope you got the little grimlin creep! I hate hunting the sneeky little basterds!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Cool! I hope those things arnt bad this year we didn't get the good freeze they wanted to kill them back.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Starter relay was the problem... does all the relays go out at once on these damn trucks? I sprayed everything with electrical contact cleaner and re-installed, replaced the starter relay, got 2 more relays to replace and all will be new. geeze

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had that problem too on my 99. changed the relay worked for about a month then did it again the wire to the positive terminal corroded inside of the clamp did even see it looking at it i bumped the wire with my elbow changing out the plugs and i noticed it move changed out the connectors no problem since just double check the wires hate to see somebody get stuck some where

1 - 11 of 11 Posts