DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post and new member yet Ive been reading through here for the last month or so. I picked up a 99 Ram with a 5.9L a few months back and this is my first major problem.
I can drive all day around 50 or so and not have a problem yet if I drive it for long period of time at 60 or above and then come to a stop my oil pressure drops to 0 and then comes right back up, also I can gun it to 60 come to a halt and it does the same thing. Now when I first got it I drove it to Nashville and back (about a 3 hr trip) and upon returning I made a turn dropped to 0 and then came back. I pulled over at my friends shop to find out no oil. Now when I first got the truck I changed all the fluids out and replaced the valve cover gaskets due to them leaking. I can check the il right after this happens and there is oil almost all the way up the stick, I wipe it off and it has the normal full marked after rechecking. Now I have narrowed it down to these things after some research and would like some input on what you may think would cause this.
1- Blown PLENUM gasket
2- bad oil sensor
3- bad oil pump/ pickup/ clogged screen

Any input on if it may be something else or a higher likely hood of one of the above things would be great.

Thanks
Will

·
Registered
37 Posts
Take the air filter out and look down the throttle body. If the intake plenum plate has any witness marks or pooling of oil. You have a blown plenum gasket. I had the oil loss problem untill i changed out to a hughes gasket and plate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts