DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright 2001 with a 318L, no catalyitic converter, dumped exaust with flowmasters, i have cleaned the intake manifold(took it apart cleaned it throughly), cleaned the throttle body, new gaskets on EVERYTHING, new spark plugs and wires and such. no idea what it could be...also thinking fuel pump is going out or something..cause everytime i start it, it acts like its out of gas..or no gas flow or no fuel pressure..any ideas? how do i knoe if it is the pump?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you ever run it low on gas? you could just have a dirty fuel filter.. I've also been told that it could be the torque converter or that my tranny is slipping im having the same kind of problems..

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
alright 2001 with a 318L, no catalyitic converter, dumped exaust with flowmasters, i have cleaned the intake manifold(took it apart cleaned it throughly), cleaned the throttle body, new gaskets on EVERYTHING, new spark plugs and wires and such. no idea what it could be...also thinking fuel pump is going out or something..cause everytime i start it, it acts like its out of gas..or no gas flow or no fuel pressure..any ideas? how do i knoe if it is the pump?
I see you cleaned your TB, but, did you clean your IAT sensor (the one on the back of the body)? That could possibly cause a problem. Now have you had your negative battery cable removed recently? if so it will have to relearn things, such as idling. I had that problem and it was as simple as that.

Hows the spark plugs/wires? I see they are new. Is the gap correct? Also I believe coppertips work best for our engines. What about the Cap and Rotor?

You'll have to use a pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure. Check the volts too.

Seeing as your backpressure is very low, you won't have as much get up and go. I don't know how significant of a difference it would be, but it's the fact of life.

Last time the timing belt was replaced?

Do you ever run it low on gas? you could just have a dirty fuel filter.. I've also been told that it could be the torque converter or that my tranny is slipping im having the same kind of problems..
Unfortunately, we have internal fuel filters. It could be the problem, but would be a hassle if you didn't know how to drop the tank and so on.

Could be the transmission. Definitely have a bad rep for our trucks. At the same time however, that wouldn't cause it to be skeptical about starting up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts