DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a 2011 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi engine... and while the engine and transmission seem to be tight and running smooth.... the engine is extremely loud (revved up loud) when I first start off. After it shifts into 4-5th gear, it quietens down. It sounds like the engine is revving up really loud (because it is maybe), although it's at the beginning of the gear and gets louder... and even after immediately shifting from 1st to 2nd, it's still there. It drowns out anything else in the cabin... much louder than any other Ram I've owned. It's not whining or ticking... just a loud engine.

Similar to a jet engine sound. You think they may have swapped out my auto engine for a jet engine... maybe I can fly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From everything I have researched, that seems to be the consensus... a bad fan clutch, although several folks tell me it's still loud.

I read a long thread here about swapping over to the larger electric only fan, which may end up being an option.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To clarify... this morning when I took off slowly, in first gear, as the engine revs up near 2000 RPM, it is really loud, then when it shifts into second gear it gets somewhat quieter and as I gain speed and the RPM climbs up to just before it shifts into third gear, it gets roaring load again, once it shifts it quietens back down. As I get on down the road a few miles, stop at the stop sign, start back out in first gear, it's quiet... does not roar again until it has been sitting for a while.

While understand the fan should be working, I've just never had a vehicle sound that loud before, and I've owned and driven several other Ram trucks from a cold start. The roaring is anything but normal from what I have ever heard in the past.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shop replaced the clutch for me today and sure enough... it was the issue. What a difference it made. It's quieter just cruising down the road now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That lasted about a day or two... and it's right back making a loud noise in the first two gears for the first half mile or so. Again... after it gets on down the road it is fine. Parts house clutch... and I've read somewhere that others have had to go with OEM to get it resolved. Considering going to the larger 4.7 electrical fan and PCM programming the temps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts