DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Low Engine Temp

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  reindeerman 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with 140,000 miles. It has never had a coolant flush. It recently began leaking around the thermostat housing. I replaced radiator hoses, heater hoses, thermostat housing and performed a coolant flush (Zerex g-05). I debated replacing the thermostat but did not, figured it was not broke dont fix it.

Since this, the engine temp gauge rises to about 1/4 of the way and does not get any warmer. As long as I can remember, when hot the gauge read just a hair to the left of the half way mark so Im concerned the thermostat is having issues. With that said the heater warms just fine and Im having no issues aside from the slightly lower temp reading.

Whats normal for others, worth worrying about if there is no other issues?

Thanks,

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

Its been low 30s in the morning, mid 60s during the day and its consistent at either time. I have not gotten rpms that high without the cap on, Ill try that asap.

Is it possible the needed flush has the system operating a bit more efficient, or is the gauge reading about dead center the norm?

#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

Its been low 30s in the morning, mid 60s during the day and its consistent at either time. I have not gotten rpms that high without the cap on, Ill try that asap.

Is it possible the needed flush has the system operating a bit more efficient, or is the gauge reading about dead center the norm?
I don't think so. My system tended to run cold with my stock engine in wintertime but that was a known problem with the 360. As far as I know the hemi never had a similar problem and should always be about the middle.

#5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions! I did run it with cap off for about 25 mins, thermostat opened and top hose got hot, spike to 4k rpm several times and squeezed hoses. I do believe I got a few small bubbles out but its still acting the same.

I have also noticed during driving it moves slightly warmer and slightly colder from time to time (but still never passes the 1/3 point on gauge).

So at this point should I replace the thermostat? Any benefits to the 180 degree one vs the 203 degree thermostat?

#6 ·
Replace the thermostat.

Check your Fluid mix ratio. IE: How cold it will go.
Am thinking it may be tad too strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.