DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there, i have a 94 ram laramie slt 5.2L V8 and its has a little issue starting. to get it to start i have to crank it over twice with no reaction then the 3rd time it fires right up. i took it to my mechanic buddy an he checked the fuel pressure and it jumps to 10 when you turn the key then slowly climbs to 30. i think its supposed to just jump to 30, im thinkin its the fuel filter but i dunno, any ideas? thanks for any and all answers!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
hey there, i have a 94 ram laramie slt 5.2L V8 and its has a little issue starting. to get it to start i have to crank it over twice with no reaction then the 3rd time it fires right up. i took it to my mechanic buddy an he checked the fuel pressure and it jumps to 10 when you turn the key then slowly climbs to 30. i think its supposed to just jump to 30, im thinkin its the fuel filter but i dunno, any ideas? thanks for any and all answers!
i am having the same issue right now also. but you need a new fuel pump, well we do. the anti flow back valve built into the pump has kicked the bucket. go to a local LKQ U-PULL-IT and get a pump i think their 20 bucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was thinkin, isnt the fuel pump in the gas tank though? i have a pull-a-part real close to me that ive used before but im not 100% sure how to get the fuel filter out an put it in my truck...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hard start

Sounds like you need a new fuel pump. Drop the tank and replace it. Its not that hard a job and pretty self explanatory when you get under it and look. Also, if you have the money just go to a local parts store and buy it new. Its about 150 and you will have a warranty on it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
thats what i was thinkin, isnt the fuel pump in the gas tank though? i have a pull-a-part real close to me that ive used before but im not 100% sure how to get the fuel filter out an put it in my truck...
If it's a 22Gal tank their should be two straps if it's 35 Gallon their should be 3 straps. If you remove the straps then the gas tank should fall off and screwed in on the top of the tank is the fuel pump. The filter is attached to the bottom of the pump sending unit assembly. The actual pump is inside of the sending unit which would be that thing you first pull out of the gas tank. Like the other guy said is you can buy one for around 200 or you can go to a pick and grab and get one for a few bucks in comparison. Make sure though the pump is from any dodge truck that has the same fuel tank capacity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts