DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced coolant temp sensor and it now reads much lower temps. Temp sensor seemed to be working fine, had no problems, but I'm a stickler about preventive maintenance. I've been running a 190 deg stat and the truck runs at 188 deg on nice cool days to 190-192 on warm days. Lately now that it's starting to get into the high 80's and 90's it's starting to run 194-195 so I figured I'd put a new one in because I have replaced it for a couple years. Replaced stat last year, all new coolant, new radiator, new cap. Runs great, no overheating. I got a new Crown Part #5149077AB (Original Manufacturer of sensor) and put it in. Filled up what fluid I lost, made sure no air in system, driven for 2 days and the temp on the gauge and the digital reading read 179-181 and make it up to 185 deg after driving for a while. Got home from work and digital reading said 181 deg so I took my infrared gun out and it read 188-189 right beside the temp sensor on the casing of the water pump. I know all sensors have variances but this seems a bit much. Changed nothing but temp sensor. Do I have a bad temp sensor?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I understand preventive maintenance, but its generally not a good idea to replace parts for the sake of replacing parts. That introduces more variables into the equation and makes an otherwise simple problem much more complicated. You always want to keep equations simple with chryslers - you never know what they'll throw at you next :D

Throw your old sensor in and see how much the temperature reading changes. Whichever is closer to your IR gun is the one you should be using.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HELP! Cooling issues in

Did you ever figure out why the new temp sensor was not working?

My 3.6L Pentastar motor was starting to reach temps of 238* and had me worried. I did a fresh oil & filter change. Did a coolant clean & flush. Replaced the thermostat(195*) and coolant temp sensor. Then started getting an OBD2 code of P0128 $07E8pd coolant thermostat (coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature). What else could be going wrong?

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesmen 2wd 3.6L Pentastar motor with 140,000 miles.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts