DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an 09 crew cab with 5.7 and 20inch wheels.
When trying to cruise (light on the gas) i often find at 1500-1700 rpm in 5th or OD the drive train has a funky harmonic..almost sounds like a subaru lol. A couple friends say they haven't experienced this with theirs. Is there a flash or a known mechanical fix?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about MDS...which is cylinder deactivation when it cuts down to 4 cylinders.

You can't really lug with an automatic transmission

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I see the fuel saver light on some times when I feel/hear it happening. But other times its off.
I agree you shouldn't be able to lug an automatic transmission. But a quick firm tap on the gas snaps it out of the lug or by manually shifting to 4th or 3rd eliminates it. Why I was wondering about an ecu flash or electronic fix.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Putting it in ERS mode (manual mode as you call it, you can't force an upshift) disables MDS.

The fuel saver light just means you're driving in a fuel efficient manner, it doesn't mean MDS is necessarily on or off.

You can disable MDS with a tuner

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
While i still had my 2009 Ram, there was one spot just out of town, speed limit is 70 mph
It was a hill with a 5% uphill grade
I would be driving with Cruise Control & at the same spot on the highway, the transmission would hang up & the engine RPM would drop. Then the transmission would shift down & the RPM would jump enough to set me back in my seat. When the RPM settled back down, the Cruise Control would again take over.
After that happened several times, i would press the gas pedal down a bit just before coming to that spot on the highway & the shift would be so much smoother

Automatic transmissions are not perfect, but they are better then a good percentage of today's drivers that don't have the driving experience & that don't know how to read the instrument panel properly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts