DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Have had my 2004 Ram 1500 for a few months now and have been rebuilding the suspension and getting the previous owners maintenance schedule back on track.

I've been having a hell of a time trying to get my suspension to feel plush (may just not be possible) or at least not obscene at low speeds. When I go over say a 3" recession in pavement at 30mph, the truck feels as if its having a hard time absorbing that bump and almost shimmies in the body on the return to flat pavement...I dont experience any shimmy at high speeds, had it up to 80 last night and did a few trips cruising in the 70-80 mph zone last week. When the truck was cranked on the torsion bars (see photo of Lifted ...all other photos of current) I was having noise in the CV on sharp turns at low speeds, that has since gone away since lowering the truck.

I believe part of the feel issue is because of the tires and wheels (18" FUEL Wheels ) (275/70R18 Cooper Discover S/T Maxx) (https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-st-maxx/p/27974) being so aggressive.

So far it has had the following done:
-New Moogs Lower Control Arms
-New Passenger Wheel Bearing
-New Fox Racing Shox 2.0 All around (0-2" lift)

-All tie rod ends, ball joints, and stabilizer links have been checked for play
-Ride Height on Torsion Bars set back to stock
-Tire pressure is middle of the range and equal on all four tires
-No lift kit or leveling kit installed
-Driver seat does not have play
-Steering feels tight

I would like to have a 1-2" lift by the time I am done (no more than that), but am not willing to compromise any significant loss in shock absorption. Please help with your ideas!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was thinking it could be the following:

-Lower control arm bump stop coming into contact
-Worn torsion bar (do these wear out??) or bushings (not sure how to check)

I just feel like every truck I've been in has had better suspension, whether OEM setups or non-stock and doesn't feel like a total bone shaker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replaced the sway bar bushings and did an end link repair kit from Moogs...definitely helped with the "shimmy" at low speeds. Feel like there is still room for improvement. Will keep chasing that plush desire :}

·
Registered
4 Posts
What brand wheel hub assembly did you go with? I have replaced most of my worn suspension with Moog parts. The Wheel hub is the last to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
You might also want to look into replacing the r&p 2 bushings,
If that's not enough, there are also 2 bushings on the cross member.
Please inform of the results
Rafi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts