DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having issues with injector pump wear now with the low sulfur fuel?

Have been reading on other forums where people are running 1 oz of 2 stroke oil per gallon of diesel. Anybody here doing this to protect your VE pump?

I am curious as I am building a Jeep with a VE pump 4bt, the little brother to the 6bt in the first gen Cummins Dodges.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone having issues with injector pump wear now with the low sulfur fuel?

Have been reading on other forums where people are running 1 oz of 2 stroke oil per gallon of diesel. Anybody here doing this to protect your VE pump?

I am curious as I am building a Jeep with a VE pump 4bt, the little brother to the 6bt in the first gen Cummins Dodges.
I was a diesel injection technician for 13 years. I rebuilt the injection pumps and injectors for many brands.

First, your ULSD DOES have some deficiencies. It doesn't lubricate as well, and some of the seals and o-rings won't live as long while using it.

I would strongly suggest you NOT use 2 stroke oil, but instead, Marvel Mystery Oil instead, adding perhaps an ounce to a full tank of diesel. Dump it in before you fill the tank. It's absolutely awesome stuff for the health of your fuel system.

Second, I would strongly suggest the use of Stanadyne Performance Formula diesel fuel conditioner - as it was designed by a maker of fuel systems, and it's about the best you can get, period. It also adds lubricity, cold weather gelling protection, smoke reduction, and it starts better in the cold.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was a diesel injection technician for 13 years. I rebuilt the injection pumps and injectors for many brands.

First, your ULSD DOES have some deficiencies. It doesn't lubricate as well, and some of the seals and o-rings won't live as long while using it.

I would strongly suggest you NOT use 2 stroke oil, but instead, Marvel Mystery Oil instead, adding perhaps an ounce to a full tank of diesel. Dump it in before you fill the tank. It's absolutely awesome stuff for the health of your fuel system.

Second, I would strongly suggest the use of Stanadyne Performance Formula diesel fuel conditioner - as it was designed by a maker of fuel systems, and it's about the best you can get, period. It also adds lubricity, cold weather gelling protection, smoke reduction, and it starts better in the cold.
Sorry for the delay in response, don't get on this forum often as it seems most people on here are afraid to use their truck and just try to figure out how to put the biggest rims on their trucks to make it unusable.

So does the amount of Marvel Mystery oil depend on the amount of fuel in the tank? I am asking due to the fact the tank in my CJ6 is only 10 gallon.

In a way I wish I would have looked longer and tried to find a P-pump 4bt. As the P-pumps are lubricated by engine oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for the delay in response, don't get on this forum often as it seems most people on here are afraid to use their truck and just try to figure out how to put the biggest rims on their trucks to make it unusable.

So does the amount of Marvel Mystery oil depend on the amount of fuel in the tank? I am asking due to the fact the tank in my CJ6 is only 10 gallon.

In a way I wish I would have looked longer and tried to find a P-pump 4bt. As the P-pumps are lubricated by engine oil.
Of course it matters how big the tank is. A half fluid ounce per fill up will be good, and it's not necessary to treat every fill up, especially if you don't run it completely out.

The inline pumps are not without their issues, as well.

Here are the most likely things to go wrong:

Rotary (VE) pump:

aneroid ( boost compensation / smoke reducer) freezing up due to rust in the working parts
leaking fuel at the throttle shaft
Face cam (the part that spins and drives the plunger up and down) wear. It tends to be catastrophic if you don't stop right away when it starts failing.
return springs on the pumping plunger - they break, it runs rough, then it seizes up (really expensive)
poorly timed ( this requires significant knowledge to fix)

Inline :
Throttle shaft wear and oil leak
pressure regulating valve failure (causes rough running and smoke)
delivery valve problems (causes missing, smoke)
Out of time (again, considerable skill and knowledge to fix)
And rare, but does happen - fuel leaks around the part the injection line screws onto.

As you can see, neither is perfect, but both tend to be highly reliable if you don't abuse them. It cannot be overstated the importance of clean fuel, no water, and avoiding additives with alcohol - along with using filters proven to be good, like Fleetguard or Cummins. The ones sold in parts stores may be good, or may be wholly inadequate - and you have no way of knowing - and this goes for air, fuel, and oil filters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts