DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the lower ball joints on my '06 1500 TRX4 Big Horn 4x4. On the parts websites I am seeing ones for 8 lugs and for 5 lugs. I have 5 lugs on mine. My question is this: does it matter if it's for 8 or 5 lugs when replacing the lower ball joint? And if so (purely out of curiosity), why?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It does matter, as the 8 lug ones are for the mega cab 1500s which are based on the HD trucks and use a solid front axle as compared to your regular 1500s IFS. Completely different parts as the 8 lug ball joints only rotate axially while the 5 lugs must pivot to accommodate for the cycling of the suspension.

·
Registered
20 Posts
related to the ball joints in general... my mechanic told me... even though the Duralast (and other {off-brand}) manufacturer joints will fit and work... he says they are not always the same size and may stretch out the a-arm hole during install. So the next time you do them you have to stay with the same brand. He says he doesn't have that issue with moog as they seem to fit more like the original oem. I.e. moogs won't fit in after duralast was installed

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was surprised how easy these were. I rented/borrowed a ball joint press from autozone/o'riely to do it. And had to get tricky with a steel plate to press them back in since the overall span was larger than the press would accommodate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also remember to grease them afterwards since the new ones don't come with much grease

1 - 7 of 7 Posts