DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, hoping someone else out there has tried this and has a solution. I bought my '11 Hemi Ram 1500 back in April and it did not have a block heater installed. When the weather got cold (single digits and lower) I noticed a small radiator leak when it was warming up or cooling down. Since its my baby I took it to a local shop to have tested/repaired as it didnt look like to much fun to remove. They actually found that the radiator was an aftermarket replacement (I had a suspicion that it may have had some front end damage at one time.) so I had them put a better radiator in, flush the system, and add a lower radiator hose heater. My thought was it was less expensive than a block heater, plus if it ever started leaking a couple of hose clamps on the lower radiator hose is easier than messing with one leaking in the block. I have found now that when I plug it in it actually has a hard time starting, almost like it isnt getting enough fuel. I suspected there was some sort of sensor in the radiator hose line somewhere that senses temp and acts as a choke and I have asked around a little locally and gotten some nods on that theory. Is this true? Did I mess up by having a lower radiator hose heater installed vs having the block heater put in? If there is a sensor in there acting as a choke is there any way to fool it when i plug it in? Its not that big of a deal, but I would like to know if there is a solution that works. Thanks all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it is a 120V AC power cord that connects the hose heater to my house so there isnt any draw on the battery from the heater. The interesting thing is that it starts easier in cold weather unplugged than it does when i plug it in for a half hour or more. I know I dont "need" the hose heater, but it sure is nice to have heat quickly on these cold mornings! But I would rather let it warm up on its own vs doing any potential damage with the current plug setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts