DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lowered my 2009 QC 2wd about 3 weeks ago. I love the look of the truck, but the down side of the lower stance is that it bottoms out too easy and i cant load much of anything in the bed without nearly setting the bumpstops on the alxe. I would like to add the coil rite firestone airbags for added load capacity. While I was researching i found the work rite kit. which appears to be similar to a progressive bump stop kit. any body use any of these kits with a lowered truck? any input on what will or or not? I guess i could just call firestone, but i figured i would try and see if anybody had some real world input first.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok i finally got a responce back for airlift. they tech guy said to measure the inside diameter and the total in side hieght of the rear springs and he should be able to find an airlift 1000 kit that will fit. I just haven had time to get the measurements to him yet. I will try to get under there tomorrow.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i finally go the measurements to the guys at air lift, he said part number 60824 Air lift 1000 will work with our lowered trucks. It is the kit for the 2011 Dodge Durangos. the airbag kit alone is only $87 on ebay and about another $125 for the basic compressor and control kit,so just over $200 sounds pretty good to me. hope this helps. oh and the only other company that i checked with was firestone and they never got back with me, so if anybody knows of any other companies let me know. I want to make sure i get the best possible product and still not spen an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a c-notch to give me more clearance...
could you elaborate a bit more on a c-notch and how it gave more clearance.
pics would help

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bought this from DJM... it's on my '97 1500. I think I'm going to complete the notch by boxing the frame but this should work well in most applications.

I usually fab my own stuff but I was impatient and needed this truck dropped NOW so I can get it ready to work the shows this summer. I am using the truck as a promotional vehicle for my hot rod show.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/krooser/RumbleFest/GEDC0314.jpg?t=1334511661

Here's the c notch I did on my '56 F100....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/krooser/MOJO/mojoframec.jpg

Here's the truck as it looks now... I cut 1 1/2 coils off the front. I may cut another 1/2 coil but I'll need shorter tires... maybe later.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/krooser/RumbleFest/GEDC0311.jpg?t=1334511661

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
seems like a bit too much fab work for me. but looks like a fun project.

·
Registered
58 Posts
seems like a bit too much fab work for me. but looks like a fun project.
All you need for the DJM C-notch kit is a drill and a few drill bits, a $10 Harbor Freight 4" grinder, a package of cut-off discs and a few hours time.

You jusy make three cuts on each frame rail and bolt on the reinforcement plates... pretty simple. May look hard but it's really pretty basic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well i finally go the measurements to the guys at air lift, he said part number 60824 Air lift 1000 will work with our lowered trucks. It is the kit for the 2011 Dodge Durangos. the airbag kit alone is only $87 on ebay and about another $125 for the basic compressor and control kit,so just over $200 sounds pretty good to me. hope this helps. oh and the only other company that i checked with was firestone and they never got back with me, so if anybody knows of any other companies let me know. I want to make sure i get the best possible product and still not spen an arm and a leg.
I realize you are using the Belltech kit , but I believe the McGaughys should be the same ID and length for the rear 4" drop springs. Can you share the dimensions you gave AirLift ?
The length you submitted was for the at rest installed spring or was it for the spring before the truck rests on it?

I am about to order an Airlift Kit and figure your 60824 kit might be the ticket for my project.

Thanks for the information and it might be helpful for others want to increase load capacity with a lowering kit.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
glad to help the measurements were sitting on the ground and level. 9" over all height measured the inside of the spring and 4 3/4" inside diameter.
let me know how ti works for ya. I have not had a chance to get the kit yet. I think i am going to wait till i can get the compressor kit with it also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for those measurements. I already have a compressor from a previous airbag installation. I might start this project next month. New Bilsteins are ordered and they will be installed at the same time as the AirLift kit. I will post back when it is done.

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that is a great thread just what i needed, only difference is, he used the air bags rated for the stock set up and airlift suggested using part number 60824 instead for a lowered ram. I wonder how much of a difference there is in the ride quality. the kits cost the same so just a matter of getting the kit i guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think RAMFD is on the right track. It seems the air cell should fit the spring while in an unloaded condition. This prevents un-necessary folding and pinching of the bag while driving. The better the fit the better the durability over time. I did notice the article referred mentioned his bags raised the rear while at minimum pressure. The longer stock bag would do this. I don't think the properly sized bags will affect height much, just increase the spring rate according to fill pressure.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK so i finally got around to getting my Airlift 1000 kit#60824 installed today. Let me say first off, WOW what a difference in ride. I would suggest to anybody that if you are considering a lowering kit to plan on installing this kit as part of the original install.
I didn't get many pictures but i did get plenty of help........

"let me show you how its done, Now hand me that 1/2" ratchet"

i mounted the air fitting in the typical location on the hitch

then covered all airlines with wire loom

I am 100% happy with the lit. and the ride height did NOT change. I test drove it with just 8 psi in the bags and could really tell the ride improved. I am planning a trip to Ohio Thursday and will be loaded down with luggage and 5 people, so I will really be able to tell the difference then.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts