DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck decided to wheel hop and started my rear end whining badly so I took it in for warranty and they said Chrysler said no because it was lowered. Anyone else have some insight on this? Unsure if the dealership is feeding me a line or not.

Funny side story, that dealership gave me the go ahead for headers and keeping my warranty. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Remove the lowering kit and go to another dealer. That's the problem with any major mods is dealers can make something up and say its your fault.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I guess I dont understand why it is such and issue with these service departments. They get paid by Chrysler for the warranty work, albeit I am sure they have to put ininformation about the cause of the warranty issue, but I think they can find something to say besides aftermarket parts. WTH! ,,I have not had this problem with anything I had done in the past such as K&N Cai, Hellwig Suspension Helper springs, Gibson catback exhaust...all on my 04 ram, even tho I had a couple small issues they never once said ,,,aftermarket part. The dealer is being either lazy or wants to make some money on you is my guess. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I lowered my 11 CC 2/4 and the dealer is acting like it''s been abducted by aliens. Depending on how low you went it could've put your rear end out of alignment due to the panhard rod. Lowering will typically move the rear end to the passenger side of our trucks with panhard rods. How far depends on how low you went. Mine moved about 3/8" to 1/2'' when lowered 4''. This could've changed the angle of your drive shaft.

I took my truck in to the dealership for another issue and they documented that my "truck has been lowered / modified / altered from stock. Suggest bringing it back to stock." Dodge seems to have problems with modified vehicles.

Good luck. I hate my local Dodge dealership.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, mine's a 2/4 spindle kit and they're crying about pinion angle even though I had the problem before I loweres it and they told me to come back when it was worse.

I think its funny Dodge came out with the Express to have a cheap good looking truck to mod but lowering your truck is the work of the devil.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Any time you touch a vehicle the dealership has the right to void your warranty can you fight it ya but in your case you went with spindles instead of springs hate to say it but ya they can void that part of your warranty.If you can prove you had a certified mechanic work on it then you might be ok if you did it your pretty much screwed. And as far as headers ya as long as you dont touch the cats your fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would spindles void a rear end problem more than springs/shocks in the front?

Also, the guy that put my drop kit in installs all the local dealerships lift kits so they can't hold that against me. Speaking of that, I'm curious how warranty works on stuff the dealership does suspension work on before its sold.

·
Registered
868 Posts
When it comes to mods it's all about finding a dealership that will work with you.

I'm curious how warranty works on stuff the dealership does suspension work on before its sold.

My last truck had mods from the dealer (not a Dodge) they told me that anything that could be caused by the mods should be worked on at their shop. Other dealerships could blame the mods and void the warranty but they couldn't because they installed them....I did get that in writing!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Why would spindles void a rear end problem more than springs/shocks in the front?

Also, the guy that put my drop kit in installs all the local dealerships lift kits so they can't hold that against me. Speaking of that, I'm curious how warranty works on stuff the dealership does suspension work on before its sold.
Just meant the suspension warranty in general

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
When i built my 1956 Chevy 1/2 pickup
I had to learn about drive shaft angle in relation to to the transmission output shaft & the pinion shaft.

The pinion shaft, for sake of reference, is parallel to the level surface, like your flat driveway, we can use 12" as a measurement from the ground to the pinion shaft
The transmission output shaft is also parallel to the same surface, but is a few inches higher from that surface, we can use 15" as the measurement from the ground to the transmission output shaft

when you install the drive shaft, with a universal at each end, the angle or incline the drive shaft has to make is the difference between 12" to 15", a difference of 3"

If you were to take a PITCH FINDER, that is used on roofs to measure the angle, & hold it on the drive shaft, it will give you the angle of the incline.
This angle of the drive shaft on a regular street vehicle has to be between 1/2 to 5 degrees, depending on the length of the drive shaft.
1/2 to 3 degree angle is preferred
If the angle is more than the preferred angle, you can loosen the rear differential support bolts & use special shims to bring it into tolerance.

WHAT CAUSES U-JOINT OPERATING ANGLES TO CHANGE

Suspension changes caused by: worn bushings in the spring hangers, worn bushings in the torque rods incorrect airbag height
Revisions in components of the driveline
Stretching or shortening the chassis
Adding an auxiliary transmission or transfer case in the main driveline
Worn engine mounts
Raising or lowering of the vehicle

High angles combined with high RPM is the worst combination, resulting in reduced u-joint life. Too large and unequal u-joint angles can cause vibrations and contribute to u-joint, transmission and differential problems. The improper u-joint angles must be corrected.

I hope that i didn't put you to sleep, but this is why the Dealership may deny your warranty claim

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Daytona kind of made me think they could fix it, but your gearhead breakdown kind of lowered my spirits!

Regardless, the 60-70's GTX, Challenger R/T convertible, and shiny new red srt8 charger and yellow jacket challenger are distracting me from sadness!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Hopefully they will go ahead & honor the warranty, it is their option

I was just trying to explain in a rambling way, how it could have happened & why the dealer may decided against fixing it under warranty

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I also hate too say it but didn't this cross your mind that they would bring the lowerin up? Its already in my head that I will fix anything wrong with my truck myself as long as its under a few hundred dollars. Anything that's a major problem I will be removing the lowering kit. I also think that I they put it in the computer and already contacted Chrysler then your most likely screwed because it's tagged by your vin #.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If you modify your vehicle you run the risk that it might void the warranty but the dealer is required to show the modification caused the problem.

So if you install a CAI it can't affect the warranty on the suspension but if you change something in the suspension they can easily claim it was you fault. Some dealers will work with you more than others but it is a risk.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just took it to Daytona and it'll be fixed Monday. They don't understand why Beck didn't fix it. Honestly I don't think there ever was a problem with Chrysler because when I called them they hadn't gotten a report from Beck and were shocked they didn't tear my rear end down to diagnose the problem. I know people locally with drop shackles and torsion bar keys I there Chevy and never had a problem with rear ends breaking except for them being dumb ********.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts