DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to the conclusion since my ram is not a 4x4 that I would prefer to concentrate on street performance. I am looking for a lowering kit. 2'' drop in the front and 3" in the rear. I am having a hard time finding a place to order these parts from as well as finding them in these certain dimensions. Everywhere I look I find a 2" 4" drop and want a 2" 3" drop. Also with this drop I will be looking to exchange the 20" rims 33" wheel height total to a 22" hopefully to keep the same height. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Coach

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
...good idea to drop for performance..not so by movin to 22's if your thinkin about performance... just did a cam/head install yesterday in a ram with 22's, even tho he felt a performance improvement, I thought to myself that it felt sluggish (Im use to driving on 17's)....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...good idea to drop for performance..not so by movin to 22's if your thinkin about performance... just did a cam/head install yesterday in a ram with 22's, even tho he felt a performance improvement, I thought to myself that it felt sluggish (Im use to driving on 17's)....
I thought about going smaller but I don't want there to be a lot of empty wheel-well space. I figured that if I went with a bigger tire and put on a smaller wheel it could do more on performance unless I am mistaken. If I'm wrong please let me know.

-Coach

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just remember....biggger = heavier. This is the opposite of what you want for performance.

By going with a smaller diameter tire you do two things: 1) Make it lighter 2) Change your effective gear ratio....for example, if you have 3.55 rear gears with 33" tall tires stock and change them to 28" tall tires.....your rear gear ratio would go up to 4.18 simply due to the tire size. This ratio change will make your truck run a little quicker and carry higher rpm's at the same speed. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My example was an extreme case. I personally would not run a 28" tall tire with a 2 x 3 drop just because I think they look too small, but that is just my opinion. I'd recommend looking at pictures of other lowered trucks on here and ask for specifics on their combo. You'll want to know how much they dropped in the front and back, tire height.....oh and how it looks. There are plenty of lowered guys on here with pics, so that should help.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
i don't see alot of space in my wheel wells and I can drive more hap hazardly now..I didn't realize how much until I rode in the guys truck with 22's, everytime we came to a driveway or railroad tracks we slowed waaay down..i't been a long while since i drove that way..

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now dodgert I like the way your truck looks. Mine is the ST 4-Door version of yours. What drop do you have on yours and the specs you ran for the tires and wheels? (if you don't mind) And since you're a fellow Ga boy you might even be able to point me to where I can find something to help out.

- Coach

·
Registered
628 Posts
I pretty sure/almost positive he just has a ground force rear 2" drop kit.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I know its not the 2/3 kit your looking for but here is my 09 QC with the Belltech 2/4 kit with stock 20s just to get an idea of tire clearance and ride height.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.