DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between the lsd and the anti-spin diff.? we have a 2012 2500 ST 4x4 at work that lsd is on the option list on the window sticker and also a 2012 1500 ST 4x2 that has the anti- spin on the option list on the sticker. i jacked the rearend up till the wheels cleared the floor on both trucks and put the trans. in nuetral and turn the wheel on one side and the wheel on the other side turned the oppisite direction on both trucks. my knowledge on the older models is that they turn the same way on both sides on a lsd is this still correct?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I believe Chrysler calls it "anti spin" and General Motors calls it "posi traction". They are both "limited slip" differentials. Anti spin is just Chrysler's name for it.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
best way to see what you have is to drive on a soft surface, then stop, do a short quick take off & look at your marks from the rear tires
single or double tire spin tracks

Also i strongly recommend that you call CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE at RAMTRUCKS.com
you will need your VIN# & mileage in hand

REQUEST a BUILD SHEET, it has about 3 pages of everything that came on your Ram as it left the factory

http://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ramtrucks/index.jsp

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snrusnak the window sticker on one truck say's anti spin but the window sticker on the other truck say's lsd so i assume they are either different or they use different terminology for the same thing....and GTyankee tomorrow when i pull them out of the shop i'll try that soft ground trick and see what happens

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ironsides you may be right idk, but i do know the 1500 says anti spin and the 2500 limited slip

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Ok well I may have bad info then. Sounds reasonable that the 1500's have a clutch type and the 2500's have a gear type...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok did the ground test today in the parking lot which is sp2. i got on a part where it is packed down good and hit the gas good enough to spin about 5 feet and both trucks 1500 and 2500 spun both tires. did it 3 times on each truck and results were all the same but this doesn't fully convince me cuz i've done the same thing in my 86 ram 4x2 and i know it has an open rearend

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I think an open rear differential can spin both tires if the traction is equal to both sides. Try finding a spot with pavement/concrete under one tire and dirt under the other tire. That will reveal for sure I think.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i have that the factory lsd did not do much in my 3500 or 2500 on wet pavement. on my 1500 i am opted to not get lsd and when dollars are available i will add a detroit true lock. much better system

·
Registered
45 Posts
ok, does anyone have a TECHNICAL explanation of the difference? I'm looking to order a 2012 soon, and will have this decision to make.

Anti-slip, is that simply a locking diff? (I currently have a G80 Eaton locking diff on my GMC and love it) If one wheel spins a specific rpm, the diff locks, and both wheels spin at same rate. This worked great on a hill with snowy patches of road, when one tire was on the snow and the other is on dry pavement... As soon as the one tire spun, the second kicked in and pushed up the hill.

·
Registered
182 Posts
limited slip, and anti-spin are likely two different names for the same concept. Neither are locking differentials. AAM in the 2500's calls it the limited slip, whereas ZF designates it the anti-spin.

·
Registered
88 Posts
limited slip, and anti-spin are likely two different names for the same concept. Neither are locking differentials. AAM in the 2500's calls it the limited slip, whereas ZF designates it the anti-spin.
I don't know about that...build sheet from my 2012 2500 says:

DRWS 10.50 Rear Axle
DSAP Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
DS7S Conventional Differential Frt Axle
EZC 5.7L V8 HEMI VVT Engine

EDIT: But my window sticker says "Limited Slip Rear Differential". So it looks like they're using them interchangeably.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with hunter green, save your money and go with some type of locker. I've stated on other posts that my last truck had lsd, and was not all that impressed with it. If you plan on doing heavy offroading the lockers are the way to go. In 2wd, most trucks will leave you spinning on a wet grassy hill no matter what rear end you have. Traction control does a fairly good job for me now considering the light to mod. offroading i do. The lsd cluthes wore out on my old truck (95') after 100k,which is not all that unusual. Maybe that why truck manufactures are leaning away from them it seems.
Please let me know if I'm way off on this.

2009 ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am planning on buying a 2012 express, reg. cab., 4x2 sometime this year if my finances come thru as planned. this is the reason i am trying to find out all i can about the anti spin and the lsd before purchasing and adding the option. i wish i could see an exploded diagram of the diffs. to better understand them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd be shocked to find out there's a difference between anti-slip and limited- slip. I'm pretty sure they are the same. They basically engaged a clutch when a threshold difference is met in torque/speed between the two rear axles. This difference is obviously above what is encountered in a normal turn. Limited slip may be great for what you need , I just worry about it's longevity. There is plenty of information out there if you have the time to look.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Basically anything you can drive on the street is going to be limited slip. It doesn't matter what "popular" or brand name you put on, it has the ability to "slip" and allow the driven wheels to rotate at different speeds. Without that you'd probably eventually break an axle, a gear, or something. True lockers are often described as "spools", and they're pretty much worthless for anything other than going in a straight line. There are some diff setups like the ARB and similar models that allow you to mechanically or electrically engage an open diff into a full locker, but this is usually more applicable to off roading. You have to know what you're doing when using this setup or you're back to breaking axles and such if you leave it engaged in all situations.

There's debate about whether clutch style or geared/ratchet style LSD's are superior. There's wear in all of them. If I recall, most/all of the GM positrack designs allow the clutches to be easily replaced. Probably all of them can be repaired/serviced over time. A short while back I did a cursory check, and I don't think I saw an aftermarket LSD for the latest Ram 1/2 ton like mine...just the factory option. Isn't that correct?

·
Registered
55 Posts
ok. so a lsd and a anti-spin are same thing. just the way it does it is different.
1500 use clutches in the rear diff and up until 2011 if you spun one wheel the other would turn in the same direction. 2012 rear ends are from a different supplier and on a hoist act like a open diff.
2500 and 3500 use a trac rite diff which is a geared way of anti spin. some others use a oil pump to build pressure to prevent slippage.
now a locking differential is where you electronically lock a diff.

hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Awesome... thank you!
I have felt the locking diff engage automatically on my GMC a number of times... it has come in handy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts