DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I made a few calls, the best price I got from a Dodge Dealer on a OEM LSD was 874.00 installed including tax. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. They tell me that it will not affect my warranty. The question do I really need it, probable not, but??? I guess I need a push one way or the other. How many of you have the LSD and those of you that does not are planning of installing one. This is in a 2010 crew cab with the 355, the truck has just a little over 5000 miles.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
My 11 has 3.92's with the LSD, and my last truck had the LSD as well. I wouldn't be without one now. Decent upgrade IMO.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i also have the 2010 with the 355's and no LSD. While I wish i had LSD (first truck without it), i would not spend 900 bucks to get it. but im a cheap scottish bastage. with that being said, we have had some snow here the last week or so, and even in 4wheel, its not as great as it would be with the LSD.

i dont really understand why a truck would come standard with LSD ( i mean other than making it a paid for option), but i bought this puppy used, and unfortunately i will not be upgrading due to the cost.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
I ordered mine built and wanted the 3.92 but the dealer talked me out of it. This happened before I found this forum which is why I'm stuck with the 3.55. Mines a 4x4 so I will not be looking to upgrade it. It's actually quick of the line in 4WD auto however in 2WD my single rear just cuts loose if I get on it too much. If I had to do it over again I would definitely get the LSD.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Well today I made a few calls, the best price I got from a Dodge Dealer on a OEM LSD was 874.00 installed including tax. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. They tell me that it will not affect my warranty. The question do I really need it, probable not, but??? I guess I need a push one way or the other. How many of you have the LSD and those of you that does not are planning of installing one. This is in a 2010 crew cab with the 355, the truck has just a little over 5000 miles.
i have the 3.92 with lsd,... well worth it

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I just turned down 2 very well paying jobs
1 trip into Oregon & 1 trip into Idaho
this time of year i would be running into snow & ice at both locations
NOT having LSD is 1 of the reasons for turning the jobs down

The other reason is that i am working on my Harley fuel system & the parts have started arriving, new gas tanks & they need to be pressure tested & powder coated
The new clutch cable has come in, the new speedometer is here & i have to get a new cable made up for it

Spring is just a couple weeks away here in SoCal

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
LSD is great, but it sure is expensive to add it after the fact. Personally, if the dealer is the one who talked you out of it, I'd go to them and try to strike a deal as an unsatisfied customer. maybe they'll split it with you or something like that.

I plan on adding it, but I plan on also going up to 4.10 gearing, so I'm keeping an eye out for a good used RT axle, should end up cheaper or the same cost as having all the work done...plus I can do it myself and it's easier, and I keep the old axle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
LSD is totally worth it....too bad it's costing ya twice what the upgrade from the factory would have cost.

I like what the previous member said...see if the dealer will split the cost or help ya out the best they can. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a CC with 3.55's also. I'm considering installing a lockright locker. Can't justify doing all that work for limited slip. On top of that I'd have to let someone else work on my truck if I want it covered by the warranty. I could pop that lockright in there in less than an hour and be on my way.. Hmmm.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^I don't know why people think installing these units is an hour or couple hour job...I've never done it but am pretty sure it requires pulling the axles, which alone is probably an hour job.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have 3.55's with no LSD and live in Minnesota and formerly Montana, so I see my fair share of snow and outright slipperyness. Yes, LSD would be nice, but do you need it to have traction and drive in snow. No. My next truck will have a locker or LSD, but it's not like it's going to make a night and day difference.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LSD rear.

HI: Can anyone give me the OEM Parts number for the 2010 Ram 1500 LSD Differential Assembly. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree,I not sure L.S. is that big of deal. I had it on my old dakota and you have to have your truck in four wheel drive any time it remotely slick or you'll be in a ditch.The ass end gets squirrely big time. My 09' doesn't have L.S.,but I find it does pretty good in slick cond. with just the e.s.p/ traction control. I'm sure i'll get plenty of debate when it comes to heavy mudding with the L.S. but I'm happy without it so far, considering it can wear out before the truck does in many cases. i.m.h.o.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
The main benefit of LSD is obviously for racing basically. I'm not sure it makes a HUGE difference for snow, mud, etc... I agree the traction control does a half way decent job at simulating an LSD...

·
Registered
868 Posts
The main benefit of LSD is obviously for racing basically. I'm not sure it makes a HUGE difference for snow, mud, etc..
People who race think it's the obvious reason to get it but anyone that has off road experience knows how important it is....The difference between driving home and walking home. I can't comment on snow but in mud, climbing hills, and on trails it makes a huge difference!

Like 4wd it's an option I will never do without!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I do a lot of towing in bad weather in New England; my last vehicle didn't have LSD and while I never got completely stuck it wasn't always fun. LSD should be a requirement on all trucks in my opinion.

·
Registered
717 Posts
This is what happens when U have open diffs and no lockers at all. The mud isn't that deep but with only one tire in the rear (this pic) and one in the front spinning, you might as well stay on the paved road cuz U ain't got a 4X4 son! My old 1990 F150 walked right through this mud with half bald tires without any issue at all and pulled me out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
was it completely random which trucks got them and which didn't? i would obviously think the 6 cyls, and most of the 4.7's wouldn't have them...kinda surprised so many 5.7's are out there without them.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^I believe it's more like what the dealer ordered. They want to sell at the lowest price possible to attract people to buy from them, so they often order the trucks without options that most people wouldn't even know about or know the difference. If my mom went to buy a work truck and they said you can have this one without LSD and with 3.55 for $16,000 or this one with LSD and 3.92 for $17,000, guess which one she'd pick?

·
Registered
868 Posts
If my mom went to buy a work truck and they said you can have this one without LSD and with 3.55 for $16,000 or this one with LSD and 3.92 for $17,000, guess which one she'd pick?
Thats a great example!! You can't really blame the dealer or sales person, today's shopper is so worried about the price they often don't ask or want to hear about about options that they can't actually see or touch.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts