DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1500 has a lug lock system and when I purchased the vehicle it did not have a key with it. How can the lugs be removed without the key? I had a tire shop do it once but didn't tell me how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Did you buy new or used? The dealer should give you the key unless you bought used and they don't have it. If that's the case, I would get the kit from the link GT posted (which is the same brand as the ones that come on Rams from the factory) and get the tire shop to remove the old ones and put the new ones on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Snap on, Matco, etc sell locking lug nut removal tools. Check ebay or your local parts store for cheaper brands. You hammer on the tool to the lock nut and then use a 1/2 impact wrench to power them off. Once off you throw the locking lug nuts in the garbage as they will be trashed. Some come off easy, others will test you. I have had McGard locks on other vehicles and sooner or later their POS key will break on you. Their customer service is crap. You can also find videos on youtube.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I purchased my truck used and realized I had no key for the lugs about a month later. I called them up and they told me stop by and they would see if they had a key to match up and would give me one free. Sent the wife while I was at work and they couldn't find one to match up. So they sent her to Discount Tire and paid for all new locking lugs and two keys. She done good!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check your jack compartment or under the passenger seat. I found mine under the passenger seat in a bag zip tied to the seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts