DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes....that's right. MADDOG is 100% to blame for my most recent mod that has so far has proven to be all benefits with absolutely no down side. :wow:

(For everyone that's looking for pix, you have stumbled on the wrong thread. This one (at least this post) is 100% pic free.)

I have said it before...I really like the sound of my OEM exhaust, and am NOT prepared to sacrifice that just for a little performance....and although it's touted as the better choice for performance, I particularly don't want the typical Magnaflo loud exhaust sound. I was also completely satisfied with my OEM intake system and overall engine performance...
BUT
we have a certain member (not going to mention MADDOG's name) that is constantly encouraging everyone to deploy the 'Big 3'. So after many months of feeling this burdening pressure, I installed a K&N drop-in filter. No change in sound, but noticeable in the high RPM range (butt dyno approved). Then the DSP (91 tune). This thing really pissed me off! :158: The change in driveabilty, responsiveness and fuel economy were outright dramatic.

Then...against every desire to keep my exhaust sound....I ordered and in stalled a Mufflex DOD24M (24" Magnaflo). First off, the installation was a snap. Mufflex really has their act together, and their instructions are 'spot on'.

Sound - similar volume level to the OEM, but a much deeper (and I really don't want to admit this) and more pleasurable tone. I much prefer the sound to my OEM, and have to admit, the WOT performance is very noticeable. Although I have not had it on long enough to determine it's affect in the MPG area, I can say that my EVIC which hardly ever changes, has been slowly increasing the MPG number, even though I have been driving at WOT a lot more than usual. I will have firm numbers after a few tanks of fuel.

SO...there you have it. My truck runs better, runs stronger, sounds better and is even more pleasurable to drive....and it's MADDOG's fault! :gy:

Thanks MADDOG....I should have taken your recommendations more seriously and done this a lot sooner. For anyone else sitting on the fence, GET OFF. This stuff really does make a difference! :smileup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Oh darn you MADDOG!!! lol

Congrats on the new mods. I unlike you, have very large problems with "stock" and my bank account/wallet is proof :doh:

Congrats on the new mods, Im sure she loves you for it :hug:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Installed aFe CAI last week and had my MagnaFlow CatBack installed Friday. Pics and video will be uploaded tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Its about time!!!! But the drop in only makes it anout a 2 and one half at the most! :)

Next up......roar maker!!!!!

E

·
0 Posts
LOL @ Brad. I was beginning to think you would never get the message. :D

Congrats on the most recent mod. A 24" Mufflex, eh? Very cool. Glad to hear it has just the right sound for you.

The K&N drop in is a good first start but eventually you will want a full cold air intake. No pressure here...but you WILL eventually put one on... ;)

:rep:

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the same level of confidence that I 'WILL NOT' install a K&N, DSP or a Magnaflo, I can say there is no chance of a full blown CAI. LOL

So....since I'm NOT going to install a CAI, I just have to determine which one it will NOT be.
Volant 160576 - Here
AFE Stage 2 54-11632 - Here

I'm leaning heavily toward the Volant for the 'close to factory' enclosed look.

I am (was) perfectly happy with my Ram in 100% OEM condition....WHAT AM I DOING! :LOL:

E

·
0 Posts
Boy...we are adamant, aren't we??? ROTFL...

I've had both brands and either one will do the trick. I like the AFE system, though. I think it will flow a bit better. I have the AFE Stage 1 on my truck and really like it.

Here's a tip for ya...call AFE directly on the last business day of the month and ask if they are running any end of the month specials and that you are particularly interested in that model. I got a great price on mine, less than advertised price with shipping!

In answer to your question, you are just doing the right things to improve your truck's fuel efficiency. Performance gains as a result are a secondary issue. ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
airaid intakes are also a big favorite among ram owners

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.....In answer to your question, you are just doing the right things to improve your truck's fuel efficiency. Performance gains as a result are a secondary issue. ;)
This is a great justification....I've cancelled my meeting with the therapist. :D

BTW - Thanks for the tip on AFE 'end of the month' offerings. :)

OH GREAT..... Add more items to complicate the list of things that I will NOT install. WTG! :LOL:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
IMO the airaid stuff is way to freaking expensive. to get the whole kit from filter to TB is likw $420 off of their website. It may be a good kit, but for the $$ i would go elsewhere

I plan on getting the stage 2 AFE when the time comes for my truck

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
All hail king MADDOG

:knee7rm:

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Nice work Maddog and Brad!!!!

If it makes you feel any better I'm leaning toward the Volant CAI and the magnaflow is next on the list of mods. I'm just savin cash like crazy to get there!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Put a Afe CAI on my 2003 Ram. When I traded that in on my 2011, a new aFe CAI was the first thing I purchased. It took a few weeks to get it on, but I was able to do it myself. And that is saying a lot. You won't be disappointed with an aFe.
I found the cheapest price online, called AutoAnything and they matched it. Love that place.

·
Registered
227 Posts
And MADDOg is completely correct. The reason we do all these mods is too improve the EFFICIENCY of our trucks. ANY performance gains are completely secondary and usually accidental. :LOL:

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And MADDOg is completely correct. The reason we do all these mods is too improve the EFFICIENCY of our trucks. ANY performance gains are completely secondary and usually accidental. :LOL:
ROTFL....It's the kind of 'accident' we all want. :Wow1:

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
:smileup:
LOL @ Brad. I was beginning to think you would never get the message. :D

Congrats on the most recent mod. A 24" Mufflex, eh? Very cool. Glad to hear it has just the right sound for you.

The K&N drop in is a good first start but eventually you will want a full cold air intake. No pressure here...but you WILL eventually put one on... ;)

:rep:
Well I think MADDOG must have some sort of financial arrangement with the K&N and Mufflex gang!:LOL:

But in seriousness - Brad will love the improvements!:smileup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I keep telling my wife - "These are to help the truck get better gas mileage. Honest. I had no idea they would make it more powerful and louder. No idea what so ever." ;)

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I keep telling my wife - "These are to help the truck get better gas mileage. Honest. I had no idea they would make it more powerful and louder. No idea what so ever." ;)
And that is 'Z' truth. :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts