DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Magnaflow 14" and ypipe please help!!!!!!z

3573 24
Ok so I have a 2012 sport with the factory duals and I ordered a 14" magnaflow exhaust and a magnaflow ypipe. I went to a muffler shop today to get them installed and he told me not to bother with the ypipe it would be a waste of money that I might as well do true duals, its obvious the restriction of factory y compared to the magnaflow but he doesnt agree. Considering I already have the muffler and ypipe I dont want to go true duals and ive heard id lose backpresure therefore losing some low end power. He also mentioned deleting the resonators in the back which i was already debating about , I want a nice loud deep rumble but want to keep incab drone to a minimum. What do guys think ypipe and muffler, muffler only, resonators or no resonators,????? Thanks guys
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,735 Posts
I have (IMHO) the perfect balance of power/torque and sound across the entire RPM range,
a nice low rumble at idle that doesn't drone in the cab on the highway,
a Very healthy Hemi Growl at wide open throttle,
...no more resonators, finished off with the gorgeous 5" double walled polished stainless steel tips.

JBA Silver Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers.
Magnaflow Y pipe welded in with mandrel bent stainless steel elbows.
Magnaflow 16869 CatBack w/ 22" muffler (for 4G Hemi with bumper cut-out)

If I had to do it all over again I wouldnt change a thing :smiley_thumbs_up:

Keep in mind muffler shops lose money to those that DIY CatBack bolt-in systems.
They make their money on selling custom dual conversions ;)

· Registered
2,735 Posts
Right after I installed my CatBack I sold my new factory take-offs for $200.
A local Ram owner wanted to convert his si/so to si/do, and already swapped on a sport bumper.

Local exhaust shop quoted him over $450 (muffler, pipe,tips)
So he was pretty happy to cut his cost in half, and was okay with the stock sport muffler.

Win Win all around. He saved a ton,
My entire system with tips for a bit over $300 (net cost)

· Registered
2,735 Posts
The Y on its own is nearly useless.

See this is the problem with people who say the stock exhaust is fine :LOL:

The muffler is restrictive, the y pipe is restrictive, the exhaust manifolds are restrictive.

But!!! replacing all that still requires that you also make some intake air improvements as well.

an internal combustion engine is an air pump.
you simply cant force more air through until all intake/exhaust restrictions are opened up.

So you need a high flow air filter, a smooth transition tube from filter to the throttle body, preferably a secondary feeder tube to supply the airbox because the opening in the stock fender location is very constricted and finally a bored out throttle body.

Almost every place I looked a Magnaflow Y pipe was $27
and I cant imagine any shop charging more than hour labor to install one.

$150 tops! if they want more than that keep looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.