DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched dozens of youtube videos comparing the 14" Magnaflow to the 18" Magnaflow. I plan on just doing the muffler replacement. My biggest question is noise at idle while warming the truck up in the morning. I have remote start and live in a subdivision, sometimes I have to get up at 4:30 AM for work. I plan on taking advantage of the remote start during the winter and I don't want to piss my neighbors off. Is there a big difference between the two at idle? It's hard to tell watching videos. How much louder is it than stock at idle?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just installed the 18 inch, idle isn't bad, i think if you have close neighbors they might be able to hear the 14 inch though. i can only speculate though i haven't heard the 14 inch in person.

·
Registered
387 Posts
the 14" is loud. my tailpipe exits out the passenger side in front of the rear tire. when all the windows are open, its loud, sounds great tho.

·
Registered
555 Posts
my 2012 with a 14" magnaflow with the factory dual pipes in place is NOT that loud at idle. My 3rd gen with the same muffler & dual side exits before the rear wheels screamed.

If you're anywhere near Western PA try Jaks in washington pa

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I am in the Same position as you, leave right at 4AM. I just ordered the 18" and will have it installed by Wednesday. Ill post back what it's like in the morning silence ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't worry at all I have a 14 inch megnaflow and my truck is started up a 2:50 am. Beside my drive way is a family with young kids and they have never said any thing and across the road is a police officer and he has never said any thing. Megnaflow really aren't loud just more aggressive. You'll hear start up but not idle. But I could hear start up with my stock exhuast. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I got my mufflex 18" magna flow installed - thats another story!

So this morning, I used remote start from the house and definitely heard it start up. Once it settled into idle, it wasn't too bad but you could still hear it for sure. I gently idled out of the neighborhood and don't think it was too bad but I will ask a couple of my neighbors if they heard it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got my mufflex 18" magna flow installed - thats another story!

So this morning, I used remote start from the house and definitely heard it start up. Once it settled into idle, it wasn't too bad but you could still hear it for sure. I gently idled out of the neighborhood and don't think it was too bad but I will ask a couple of my neighbors if they heard it...
So what's the verdict. I'm actually more concerned with highway drone(the exhaust hum you hear when you set your cruise at 55mph+). I had a titan and put the 18" on because it didn't have any highway drone and had the rumble in the city traffic. the highway drone drives me bonkers:LOL:

·
Registered
9 Posts
when in the city it's kinda loud, especially with the windows down and cooler weather. But highway was barely audible with 18", never went to 24", I did want to hear it

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
My 22" on the Magnaflow 16869 catback kit is somewhat loud for a few minutes or so at cold morning start-up [especially winter mornings].

The 18" and/or 14" muffler swap has to be significantly louder.... must.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got the 18" and wish I had gone with the 14"... the only reason I went with the 18" in the first place was so I wouldn't hear a drone with MDS, but I can still hear. It's definitely over exaggerated from a lot of people, because it's not annoying at all. I think anything longer than the 18" would be far too quiet.

Maybe down the road I'll get the 14", or a Flowmaster Super 44...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the 14 installed. It's a little loud when it first starts but quiets down in a few seconds.
The trick will be not ticking them off when you drive away.
Exactly! lol

From what I have heard from the 18" crowd, it'll be more of what you want if you're worried about the neighbors.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Ha, I bet my neighbors wish I had your sympathy. my Flow 40s set the car alarms off at 4:30am when I leave for work....whoops.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts