DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Magnaflow Cat-back system #16869 arrived yesterday, is the install as simple as it looks? I have a single system out the side at the moment but the truck is getting the new bumper with the exhaust cut-out installed as I post this. I checked under the truck and all the factory hangers appear to be there so I orded the extra rubber pieces. Just trying to decide if I should tackle this myself (I'm not a mechanic but I am handy), I have all the tools I would need.

·
Registered
209 Posts
kit should be straight forward to install. get the old system off and just get everything hung in place.

Follow the direction in the kit and give yourself lots of time to do it incase you run into any issues.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Congratulations on purchasing, IMHO, the finest [in every way] bolt-on catback exhaust system for the 4th Gen Rams that money can buy.

Yes, the exhaust is a straight forward bolt-on that can be done in your driveway in a few hours over the weekend.

However, I strongly urge you to spend a few extra dollars and have it installed and all pipes and/or parts welded on by an exhaust shop or someone in the know.

You're gonna' love it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
In a word, no. Not just a simple bolt in, requires alignment of components (can be a little tricky and time consuming if its your first time). If you plan to DIY, you might want to take pics of the stock system first to use as a reference as you go along. In fact, if you have access to a factory dual set up (friend, dealer, etc...) you may want to get some reference pics of that system.
Magnaflow is a good product with decent instructions. Keep in mind, a little misalignment at one end of the truck can get magnified to a big misalignment at the other end. Do not tighten up as you go along, just snug components down enough to keep them from shifting. The hardest part will be aligning the tailpipes (and knowing which connections to tweak in order to get the alignment correct).

Definitely doable, but not quite as simple as it looks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just ordered one too.
Looks to me like Magnaflow part # 16869 is for trucks that have the factory duals (bumper notches?). Part # 16870 is for trucks with factory single to convert to duals.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the new purchase Magster. I am picking mine up and going to attempt to install it on Saturday. Yes I noted the difference in part #'s. I got rear ended last week so when replacing the bumper I had them install the one with the exhaust cut-outs. I thought it would look nicer than having the pipes below the bumper. I hope all goes well with the install.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It's absolutely as easy as it looks for anyone who can turn a wrench.
One of the first major purchases I made for my Ram almost 2 years ago.
5 band clamps and a little wiggling into well lubed rubber hangers to get it in position, tighten clamps and your done.

Of course the newer your truck, the easier it is to break the stock bolts/band clamps loose on your stock system,
so use a good penetrating fluid and its a job that can be done on your driveway in a bit over an hour.

I cant imagine how anyone could get it wrong.

WD40 is okay, but I swear by this stuff..

Magnaflow PDF instructions here: http://www.hottexhaust.com/installation/16869.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts