DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Does anyone know which exhaust config would sound really sweet on my 5.2 4x4 Ram. The duel ends come out on the right hand side just behind the rear wheel. Should it be Magnaflow or Flowmaster. And what do the numbers mean? 40, 50 etc.

Thanks Clive.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a 2 in 2 out magnaflow on my 95, 5.2 L, no cat converter. my head pipes are connected to 2" pipes which are clamped with stainless band clamps. (tight clearances to work with, there, the band clamps are perfect there) These end at approx the front end of the bed which is where the magnaflow begins,welded to the pipes with outershield mig wire. the tailpipes are also 2",welded to the muffler, they reach to beneath the rear bumper.Hangers are on the tailpipes, aft of the axle, and around the magnaflow, this truck is a standard cab, shortbed. An extended cab, or longbed truck would require a couple more hangers, I would think. The muffler is the "crossover, so to speak" and it is mounted with the 'oval' top and bottom. It sounds quite gentlemanly, until the engine is working hard, at 54 Yrs, I'm not much into noisy pipes, however this truck sings... , and only when I want it to. My other truck has a std cab shortbed exhaust system off a factory hemi truck from the cat back, with the 3" pipes, and I'm quite happy with it, as well, sounds quite like my old roadrunner 440, and it simply sounds quiet, but mighty when you want it to, it has original hemi mufflers, too...I'm not much on side exits, it seems someone invariably steps on them and twists them, or they catch on something and crunch shut, when you're backing up. My 2 cents, someone else will have other ideas, I've never owned a flowmaster, no particular reason. Use aluminized pipe or better, and don't go big, they rot out in the UK, too much condensation, from the damp air, I had duals on a Chev there, 89-91, they rotted right off. They have to get good and hot, to lose the acids from combustion, I guess.

·
Registered
38 Posts
To answer your question about the numbers, they stand for the different series of muffler the companies offer. Personally I think a set of Flowmaster 44's sounds decent on this generation of truck. I'm currently running no mufflers or cats right now... just 3" pipe from the headers straight to the back at 45 degree angles... mine is deep and loud, very loud. If your going for tone, pick the Flowmasters

·
Registered
462 Posts
A little further info, there Clive, the pipe tha t has to cross over to the other side, for symmetry, is bent immediately aft of the rear axle, and I do not carry a spare tire beneath the truck, I would suggest making a carrier behind the driver, connecting to the bottom of the bed and the side of the bed, anchoring the tire to it via allthread, thru a lugnut hole, and fabricating a wingnut to secure it, and passing a padlock thru the wingnut and another lugnut hole on the spare, IF you carry a spare, I think you probably do, due to MOT. I would be very curious as to what you're paying for a disc, these days, it was 100 quid a year when I was there, ( a pint of bitter was 98 p as well!!) Watch for rust on your sills, the 180 degree bend at the bottom of your doors, and around the tops of your rear wheelwells, if you can, get the seam sealer foam out of those areas, they are built in rust creators, your rear bumper 2 feet either side of center, bottom half, is rust prone, as well... Brake lines are prone to rust out, as well, the first one to go is generally the one hidden behind the petrol tank, you can simply shove a new one behind there, and connect to the tee at the aft end of the tank, and connect the front end somewhere around the left floorboard, the line seldom corrodes there, and you can double flare there, and insert a coupling union. The front brake lines rust out too, but they are at least, visible for inspection. The secondary catch for the bonnet MUST return when released, (most don't, unless lubed regularly,) use grease, it sticks around for awhile. If it doesn't return under spring pressure, your bonnet WILL eventually fly open, destroying the hinges, the hood, and in all likelyhood, the windscreen, and totally ruining your day.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think I'm going to run 2 1/2 dual exhaust from my headers parallel to a Flowmaster Super 40 - 8525454. No CAT. From what I understand this muffler with 2 inlets and 2 outlets will act as an X pipe. I hope it's not obnoxious loud.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help lads, and and that valuble information. I wish I'd known about the brake hose replacement behind the fuel tank before as I removed the full up tank to do mine. Well its done now. In answer to the question about UK road tax and a pint of bitter, its £118 for 6 months and I think £210 for a year if the vehicle is registered before 2001 otherwise it gets quite expensive. Bitter is about £3.00 a pint.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A little word of advise. I think lol my dodge had the tail pipes dumping out just past the rear bumper and it rotted the bumper out. The bumper had small holes in it when I got it 3 years ago now I can stick my hand in the holes lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The big dent dents in the bumper was from pushing over small trees so I could turn around on some atv trails by the river.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts