DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my question and delima. I finally decided to put a new muffler on and went with a magnaflow after reading all the reviews. They sound amazing in all the Youtube videos I have watched. The shop where I got it put on said there would be no need to waste the money on them bending and making dual out pipes since I already had the stock two out. So I went with their advise. The exhaust is not very loud at all. It sounds good when I am getting on the the gas, but there is very little to no sound when idling or coasting. It just doesnt sound like the beast a 5.7 Hemi with 390 hp should sound like.

I had a 1998 F-150 with the small V8 and it sounded a lot better with a Flowmaster and dual outs the shop made. I always wanted my truck to sound like the deep tones Dodges have.

So finally to my question. Are the resonators really making it that quiet? Are the stock duals having any effect on the sound (diameter of the pipe..etc?) I really want it to sound good and the shop owner said if I wasnt happy with the sound they would cut out the resonators. Has anyone done this? How does that make it sound?

Thanks in advance for the help and advise.

4x4BigHorn

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey 4x4, I have the 24" magnaflow with resonators removed. If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say it's about 20-25% deeper and louder than stock. I absolutely LOVE the sound. It's exactly what I was looking for. Deep, loud when I want it (WOT) and still highway mannered. My wife does not really notice the highway difference but she definitely notices the city growl. I removed my resonators before installing the muffler and did not hear enough difference to be satisfied. But both combined is harmony. What size muffler did you get? 18", 24"?
I have read that removing the resonators may cause a weird sound during MDS through the exhaust, but I have yet to hear anything weird like that. Truth be told I kill MDS every time I'm driving it. (Wife's truck)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly do not know which is on it. I asked some questions and they basically said just magnaflow. They werent very informative for being a muffler shop. I guess I will see if i can find out that information and go from there.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
468 Posts
magnaflow arent that loud when idling and cruising. Which is prefered by most people who use these as their daily drivers.

G

·
Go measure the can length. 14" long cases are LOUD, they get progressively quieter as the case dimension lengthens. I have an 18" single in / dual out. I can hear it at idle and around town but it's a low tone and just a nice burble. When I get on the throttle, it gets a LOT louder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. So I measured it and it 14". So this means it should be the loud one. Its definitely not loud by any means. So now I am stumped. If I supposidely have the loud one, where has all the sound gone? Does the size of the dual out pipes play a factor? Do I need to replace the stock pipes to get the true sound of the muffler?

Thanks again for the advise.

4x4BigHorn

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. So I measured it and it 14". So this means it should be the loud one. Its definitely not loud by any means. So now I am stumped. If I supposidely have the loud one, where has all the sound gone? Does the size of the dual out pipes play a factor? Do I need to replace the stock pipes to get the true sound of the muffler?

Thanks again for the advise.

4x4BigHorn
It's for sure a magnaflow? One in, two out? Correct inlet/outlet size for the pipes? Mine is the 24" like I mentioned without resonators and it definitely made a difference. The 18" with resonators was the way I was going to go, but I tried no res first and went with the 24" to balance it out a bit. I can't believe the 14" magnaflow is not noticeably louder. Double-check the unit. Get under there and look for name, part number, etc..

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yeah a 14" should be loud, even with resonators. Keep in mind though it won't be that loud at idle, but when you get on the pedal it should scream. You will pick up a little bit of noise level (along with resonance) by removing the resonators. The diameter of the pipe and tips plays a role in the sound (but a very small role). You probably wouldn't notice a difference if they ran new dual pipes and larger tips.

G

·
oh...and they do need a bit of time to break in. Mine was pretty quiet in the beginning but a road trip took care of that!

·
Registered
566 Posts
oh...and they do need a bit of time to break in. Mine was pretty quiet in the beginning but a road trip took care of that!
^^^Mad's correct. Mine had a break-in time as well. About 500-800 miles did it with a few long trips. Now it's pure heaven. But it's not like it was quiet before they broke-in. They just seasoned a bit. I still heard the difference immediately after it was installed. Especially that startup blast it does. Woot! :smileup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm....Well I just got it on last Friday and barely drove it. I wondered about a break in period. I will get up under there and see what markings are on the muffler. It is a reputable shop that has been around for ages. So I would hate to think they sold me something other than what they said. But you never know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I guess I am also just comparing it to the sound i remember my 4.6 V-8 F-150 making with a flowmaster on it. I could here it inside the house while idling in the driveway. Is there a huge difference between Flowmasters and Magnaflows that I missed? I had put a Flowmaster 40 series muffler on this truck when I first got it and turned around right after driving off the lot and had them replace the stock back on. That was before I learned how to turn off the MDS...lol But it still wasnt very loud either.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yes, magnaflows perform WAY better than flowmasters, and are SS so will last forever. Some people prefer the flowmaster sound, but it is chambered, so performs worse. I would think the magnaflow would be louder.

It always seemed to me that 50% of the fuel burned in a 4.6L ford engine is transferred into noise, not power. lol

G

·
^^^Mad's correct. Mine had a break-in time as well. About 500-800 miles did it with a few long trips. Now it's pure heaven. But it's not like it was quiet before they broke-in. They just seasoned a bit. I still heard the difference immediately after it was installed. Especially that startup blast it does. Woot! :smileup:
Yup!!!! Mine wasn't dead silent when new but it changed. Then it changed again when I put on the intake.

Love that first thing in the morning cold startup...but my neighbors don't...:LOL:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Have someone drive it around the block while you stand outside and listen. I had no idea how mine sounded till my wife drove it one day, it really suprised me how loud it was . Not very loud in the cab but i could hear it from a block away.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is the first post that I have seen where the poster thought a 14 Magnaflow was too quiet. The muffler should loosen up during the break-in period, but not enough to totally change the sound. If its not loud enough for you now, it won't be in 500 miles either.

It sounds like a potential knockoff to me. All magnaflow mufflers are embossed with their logo on one side. I got that info straight from a factory spokesperson while my local shop was in the middle of installing a knockoff.

Does it sound anything like the other youtube videos of a 14 in magnaflow? All the videos sounds very similiar to one another if you ask me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If it is a legit magnaflow 14" and you're nowhere near satisfied you probably need something crazy like a cherry bomb lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm... I will get up under there tonight when I get out of this suit and tie. It is for sure not too loud by any means. I will listen to some videos again to compare. Now you guys have me wondering if it is a knockoff....I better see a magnaflow stamp or im raisin some hell tomorrow...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well put it this way...how much would you rate it now being louder than stock and how much louder than that do you want it?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Not to say you don't know what you're talking about lol...but how loud it is is really relative...maybe you're just one of those people that likes crazy loud? So it doesn't seem loud to you? I agree try to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 and rate stock also....I'd say if stock was a 2 at idle and 6 at WOT, the new setup should be a 3 at idle and 9 at WOT....something like that....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts