DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am thinking it is time for a cat back dual exhaust for my 04 hemi. I am looking for un biased opinions between magnaflow and flowmaster. Why should I go with one or the other more less? better sound, better power etc. The auto custom shop in town is closed today :( so I cant get prices between the 2 but I figure they will be about 700, and I will install it.

There is a muffler shop in town that quoted me last fall 500 bucks installed, but I have to buy the tips (no big deal). Is there any benefit to going with a name brand like magnaflow or flowmaster vs. having a system made by a muffler shop? i.e. sound or power wise etc. Obviously the muffler shop is cheaper and it is installed although I have no issues installing my own but that fact that it is done for me at the shop is a bonus! Sorry for the long write up and questions, just need peoples opnions on the 3, and some opinions between the 2 name brands

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one has dual exhaust? LOL magnaflows website doesnt show that they sell a c/b dual system with tips that exit out to each side, only a single system that exits to the side. All of their duals exit straight back but I dont want that. Anyone want to chime in about DUAL EXHAUST?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have a custom cat back dual with 40 series and i easily have the loudest vehicle around. i have four inch gun metal stainless tips and they are flared out behind my tires. cost me 500 out the door

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It depends what you are looking for. If you want LOUd go with flowmaster. If you want more mellow go with the magnaflow. I have had flowmaster on every vehicl but this truck and at first I was dissapointed on how quiet it was. After 1000 miles or so it opened up and got a little louder but still nothing near the flowmaster.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses guys, I will find out tmrw how much the magnaflow or flowmaster is. But like I said on magnaflows website it doesnt show that they can exit on an angle behind the rear tires which is want I want and need due to backing into snow banks in the winter to unload my sled. I have been watching youtube videos most of the day trying to figure out what I want, it is hard to tell from the videos though whether it sounds good and how loud it is, doesnt seem like the american thunder 50 series is too loud. I dont need crazy loud but I want people to hear it when I give it some gas, but thats the whole point right? Would the "custom" exhaust give the same hp and mpg savings (if any) as the name brands do you think?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
i went to the local exhaust shop and scored a deal on custom while they were doing my shocks. with all of my mods my mpg on the hwy is well over 20 and i would def have to say my hp is up. i was looking at the flowmaster kits and opted for the exhaust shop to go in and do their thing with the super 40 muffler and the tips of my choosing, that way it would be warrantied and fully welded.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the response bighemi, I like the idea of it all being welded. I guess my next question is aluminum or stainless for the piping? does it matter? I will end up driving this truck maybe another year and a half at the most, so only 1 winter. The aluminum seems to be a fair bit cheaper

·
Registered
10 Posts
go with the mopar performance exhaust. stacey installed it on the dragon wagon on gearz tv. and mopar performance exhaust is made by borla. looked and sounds great. i have a 40 series flowmaster on my truck and its way to loud in the cab.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey Dan, I checked out Sudbury Custom last week for the Magnaflow #16869, it was $599.00. Someone rear ended me last week so I thought I would swap the bumper for one with cut-outs and put the rear exit exhaust on. BTW my new rims and tires should be there this week, I ended up ordering the 35" Dick Cepek Mud Country tires instead of the radials, hope there not to loud.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Dan, I checked out Sudbury Custom last week for the Magnaflow #16869, it was $599.00. Someone rear ended me last week so I thought I would swap the bumper for one with cut-outs and put the rear exit exhaust on. BTW my new rims and tires should be there this week, I ended up ordering the 35" Dick Cepek Mud Country tires instead of the radials, hope there not to loud.
That sucks about being rear ended, hopefully their insurance will pay your repairs!! I was just at Sudbury Custom today and ordered new 20" wheels and was prepaired to order a flowmaster exhaust but Mike (the owner) steered me in a bit different direction, I ended up getting vibrant performance muffler and dual tips and am having the muffler shop down the street do the rest next tuesday!

I am quite interested too see how the mud countries are too, They look so awesome! I am sooooooo excited for my wheels and exhaust, I am like a kid in a candy store, might end up putting bushwacker flares on after the wheels are on but we will see. Post some pics when you get your wheels and tires Bruce, I hope you are enjoying the weather also!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
go find a different shop...I had a dual setup (to the muffler) made with h pipe to dual cutouts (only thing i supplied) to 22" dual in/single out magnaflow dumped after axle... the exhaust was complete from headers...$250.00 welded and flanged (where i wanted it to be flanged)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
go find a different shop...I had a dual setup (to the muffler) made with h pipe to dual cutouts (only thing i supplied) to 22" dual in/single out magnaflow dumped after axle... the exhaust was complete from headers...$250.00 welded and flanged (where i wanted it to be flanged)
No other muffler shop around... these guys have to put food on the table.... flowmaster and or magnaflow cat back duals up here are 550+,+plus 13% tax, so 550 otd (welded too boot which is something the kit doesnt come with, kit doesnt come installed either)

I get what your saying fella, but that is just the price up here, he charges everybody in town the same for this type of deal. I went in today expecting to pay 700 plus tax for a flowmaster system.. And as far as the aftermarket parts, that type of stuff is 1.5 times more up here than south of the free trade scam line. As of right now I am just happy to be getting an exhaust, I guess I will find out for real next tuesday

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
that's too bad then... i've changed my exhaust setup a few times, luckily it's dirt cheap because of competition and luckily for me, found a one man shop that every performance type guys like to go to...cuz he's honest and doesn't gouge us...and we come back, and tell a friend, who tells another friend...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Dan is right. Everything up here costs a lot more. The shop[ he is going too has good reputation and will probably be the one I end up at as well for the installation of my system. Dan if you want to see the Mud Country's I will let you know when they are in and you can go over and check them out. The insurance is covering all the repairs so I just had the body shop switch from the plain bumper to the one with dual cut-outs so I could put the dual exhaust on. Hopefully I like the finished product.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that's too bad then... i've changed my exhaust setup a few times, luckily it's dirt cheap because of competition and luckily for me, found a one man shop that every performance type guys like to go to...cuz he's honest and doesn't gouge us...and we come back, and tell a friend, who tells another friend...
that could be why it is more for the labour as well, not a lot of competition in this area. Either way I am not complaining it is less than I figured I would have to pay

Dan is right. Everything up here costs a lot more. The shop[ he is going too has good reputation and will probably be the one I end up at as well for the installation of my system. Dan if you want to see the Mud Country's I will let you know when they are in and you can go over and check them out. The insurance is covering all the repairs so I just had the body shop switch from the plain bumper to the one with dual cut-outs so I could put the dual exhaust on. Hopefully I like the finished product.
Thats good that the insurance is covering it, good idea by having the body shop swicth the bumnpers... are you having a shop in sudbury do it? I am just curious to see how loud those mud country's are, my buddy has a set of 33x12.5 on his jeep, they look awesome!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also bruce, when your in SCA check out Mikes 38's and fuel wheels, they look good, he is putting an 8" lift on his super duty... He just got back from a huge auto parts show in Texas, said he bought 44,000 dollars worth of merchandise, 14 fabtech lifts among other things. I guess that meens 100,000 retail or so, maybe more

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.