DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just had a magnaflow 18" muffler installed and put a K&N drop in filter.love the way it sounds around town but kind of loud inside the truck on the expressway and thats most of my driving.might have to switch it out for a magnaflow 24" anybody have the same problem? maybe Im getting to old for loud but I drive a semi for a living and you would think I would be use to loud... :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Did you have the factory dual tail pipes? I added a 14" magnaflow with the factory duals its not that load at all. I can easily listen to the radio @ highway speeds with a volume of 12. And there;s hardly any drone with the factory setup. Now my old 3rd gen with the same muffler & new tailpipes screamed & had tons of drone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just added a 14" Magnaflow as well and it is not at all loud in the cab. It has a nice rumble at start up and when you get on the accelerator but just cruising on the Interstate is not loud at all.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have an 18" Magnaflow and K&N CAI and its only moderately loud when you accelerate hard. Just cruising down the interstate it sounds pretty much stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You know, this is interesting! As stated already, the sound level would be subjective. I did not want anything to loud but wanted my truck to sound ,well, more like a truck! The installer said to go with the 14" magnaflow so that it would have a nice rumble but wouldn't be loud all the time. We also talked about Flowmaster and he said that it would be louder and stay loud even when just cruising. I asked about an 18" Magnaflow and he stated it would sound no better than my stock set up. So far I am very happy with the 14" Magnaflow sound. I don't have a heavy foot (usually) and I don't find this muffler to be loud even when the windows down. On the Interstate, it doesn't really sound any louder to me than stock did except when it downshifts for hills or I step on it to accelerate. Now just to be fair, I live in an area where almost all trucks have some sort of aftermarket muffler installed and most are LOUD. So comparatively I guess, mine is not!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
did you remove the resonators too? should have kept one of them...also, did you just replace the muffler only? or did you do all the piping? how is it exiting? i find it's usually the piping that does drone..to eliminate it dump it after axle, before axle will be loud

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I've always heard that dumped exhausts were loud...I tried an 18" mag, no resonator, droned like a mutha, stock exhaust exit. then decided to try a flow 50 dumped before axle as well as side exit before wheels...sounded good and loud, I took it for a year and decided it was too loud incab, couldnt have a conversation at any speed unless i raised my voice. then decided to run a mag dumped after axle, it made the sound incab a fraction of what it was before...i could hear my radio at low volume, speak softly to others, and all the while i could hear the rhythmic low exhaust tone that was more then bearable and enjoyable to listen to... i've run this exhaust now for about 100k miles and this is the way it will be as long as i own it...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Went with a 24" Maggie and removed the resonators (RCSB rear bumper exit). Barely louder than stock but deeper and definitely throatier when getting on it. No drone at all. Thinking I shoould have gone to next size smaller for just a bit more sound, otherwise very happy with the setup.
Would the Maggie Y pipe add more sound?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Howdy,
I have the 24" Magnaflow and Y-pipe. It is perfect for my needs. Sounds great without any drone or glasspack snap, crackle, or pop. I also left the resonators. I used the Mufflex system and very happy with the results. Have a goodun!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts