DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has done a magnum V8 build for a 97 ram 1500. Im Considering of modding mine to get more performace out of it but im still not sure as to if I really want to do so or not. anything would be great thanks, Shawn D.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has done a magnum V8 build for a 97 ram 1500. Im Considering of modding mine to get more performace out of it but im still not sure as to if I really want to do so or not. anything would be great thanks, Shawn D.
Don't bother waisting your money on it, their is so much you can do but personally it's not worth it, you have hp and torque and with a 5.9L you get horrible mileage, the 5.2L isn't as bad matter fact the 5.2L in my opinion performs well underload, better then the 5.9L. I have had both and retained my 5.2L and I love it. What you could do is put a R/T Cam in it and a MP ECM. You could also change the exhaust to oversized header however because emmissions laws in NJ you have to keep the cat and muffler. You could change the intake manifold to a mopar performance m1. You can also change the air intake so you can get a slightly larger flow. Like I said their is so much you could do but personally it's costly and not worth it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cost doesnt realy matter to me. I have no budget im just gona go with what ever the cost comes to. I know the gas mileage is already horrible but im probably the only 1 that doesnt really mind that either lmao. And i really dont feel comfortable converting to a 5.2 so that idea is out. Im going to put a 5 or 6inch lift on it with some taller mud tires on it so i know im going to have to put some new smaller gears on to raise the torgue and i know im going to have to play with the tras a little to keep it cool but im really looking for some raw get up and go horse power and a faster throttel response! I already had it planned to switcher over all of that except for the cam and ECM and now ill put that on the list. but now im looking for performance parts like rocker arm's, forged Piston's, Push rod's, timing, if boring would help?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Cost doesnt realy matter to me. I have no budget im just gona go with what ever the cost comes to. I know the gas mileage is already horrible but im probably the only 1 that doesnt really mind that either lmao. And i really dont feel comfortable converting to a 5.2 so that idea is out. Im going to put a 5 or 6inch lift on it with some taller mud tires on it so i know im going to have to put some new smaller gears on to raise the torgue and i know im going to have to play with the tras a little to keep it cool but im really looking for some raw get up and go horse power and a faster throttel response! I already had it planned to switcher over all of that except for the cam and ECM and now ill put that on the list. but now im looking for performance parts like rocker arm's, forged Piston's, Push rod's, timing, if boring would help?
If cost doesn't matter rich boy then send me 500 bucks so I can have my driveshaft made lol...

Anyway's from end to beginning, forged pistons might not be a good idea their are advantages and disadvantages to both forms of casting. For one forged has a slower expansion rate then plain cast pistons, so the forged will make noise when cold and the compression might not be as high which is why it's recommended to use larger rings. The pushrods would be a different story, the stock ones might buckel under higher RPM's. The cam and ecm will have to be changed, the ECM especially because you will want to be able to adjust the timing for the custom cam. You could increase the rocker ratio for a slightly larger lift however this can be acomplished by the cam, it would be best to confir this with the cam manufacuter. If you plan to put a lift with larger tires etc, I recommend you completely rebuild the axle and maybe even upgrade it to something stronger that's if it has the stocker chrysler 9.25, better off with a dana 60. But with a lift I would strongly recommend you change the driveshaft so the slip yoke doesn't hang out to much.

Again you would benefit from some performance heads, edlebroke makes nice 58CC ones, also a set of headers and a new exhaust system cat back would be ok, again NJ emissions I know are a pain, from NJ.

I would also change the intake manifold. Personally if money was no object, I would put the mopar performance 4 barrel throttle body on the mopar performance 4 barrel intake manifold, the whole setup is about 1 grand but it's very nice and brings up air flow well over 1000 CFM, the stock is about 350CFM. I also would recommend you change out the radiator to a performance all aluminum, you would benefit from that. You could slap a stroker kit on it but again the performance ECM must be able to support it. These are just some ideas. I specialize in drivetrains, transmission mainly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who are you calling rich boy? im not a rich boy im just a spoiled little brat with many hobbies lmao! and you just basically answered all of my questions. ill probably more then likely rebuild the engine with these parts. for the cat and muffler, that doesnt really bother me because after next year ill be off to an automotive technical school OUT of new jersey so they'll be gone after that lmao.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Who are you calling rich boy? im not a rich boy im just a spoiled little brat with many hobbies lmao! and you just basically answered all of my questions. ill probably more then likely rebuild the engine with these parts. for the cat and muffler, that doesnt really bother me because after next year ill be off to an automotive technical school OUT of new jersey so they'll be gone after that lmao.
You and I are in common, the hobbies not the money lol... If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Just be careful with the cat, just because some states don't require it, it's still federal law except cali and NY.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
as long as im going to be putting a higher lift with a taller tire that also means that ill need more stopping power right?
Not nessesarly. If the vehicle is higher then a higher center of gravity and worse handling so I would look into yea 4 wheel disc brakes and an active rear suspension. If you brake I would do it slowly cause if you slam on the brakes and they lock up you will loose control with a high center of gravity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts