DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I've got a 2001 1500 sport. Its got about 230,000 miles on it. I drive it almost 30 miles every day for work. It's an awesome truck and I want to keep it going strong for as long as possible. I end up using the 4wd often for work as well as driving off road regularly. Basically, what maintenance advice can you give me for my truck? I had a new transmission put in about a year ago. The rear diff is in good condition ( i know that can be problematic for 2nd gen rams). Also, I put a new starter in last year and I do regular oil changes. I want to stay ahead of any mechanical problems I might face in the future (yeah I know i cant avoid everything) . So any advice on things to look at/replace now? Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Probably getting close to a brake fluid flush. Should flush the coolant too if you haven't already and swap the thermostat. Don't remember if you can grease the joints on those but if you can I'd do that. That 5.9 is a great engine but notorious for burning oil through the plenum gasket under the intake manifold. Hughes engines sells a kit with a thick plate to permanently fix that. And they burn oil through the valve stem seals. Both are fairly easy and cheap fixes if they happen to you. Should be a solid truck for a while!

·
Registered
63 Posts
just keep up the basics...tune up type stuff..oil and other fluid flushes when needed....my 01 ram has been a plow truck its entire life and the the guy i bought it from took care of it by the book...he had the tranny rebuilt at 100k just as a preventative measure.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I would put a fuel pump on the list if it wasn't done already. Timing chain is probably worn so that would be another thing. What kind of condition is the front end in? I would imaging most of it(ball joints tie rod ends drag link etc..) are worn at 230K. Look a the brake line next to the gas tank running back to the rear. They rust up to the point they burst.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.