DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Need some assistance, I see in the Owner's manual the regular interval for oil changes is every 8k, but see in web searchs that 3.5k or 5k is recommended by dealership...which is the correct interval?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I've been doing mine every 5000 for about the past 10 or 12 years. It's a nice round number that is easy to remember when the last change was, and the 3000 interval has been outdated for even longer than that.

Much depends upon your driving habits, and which "schedule" you need to use though, be sure to check the write up on what conditions fit your driving habits

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
129 Posts
Some good insight here. I'm at just about 1,900mi and getting close to an 8-hour road trip. I'll probably hit about 2,500 before I leave, but I guess I'll wait until after the drive to get that first change.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I used to do mine on my grand cherokee every 5600klm and would use reg oil, the maintenance schedual for my new Ram Says 13000klm??? wow, I was thinking I would do mine every 8000klm, so say about 5000 miles. Was also thinking of going Synthetic, since I am thinking of keeping it for a long time. If anyone has Idea's about that let me know.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I do a lot of long distance driving
I switched to synthetic oil at about 34,000 miles, i could have done it way before that, but i didn't make up my mind until then.
I now have 62,000 miles on my Ram

I know that i will be driving from California to Connecticut & then into Ontario Canada & return to San Diego in July & August, it will be about a 7,700 mile trip & will change oil just before leaving Connecticut, it may be excessive, but that is my choice
My cell phone may ring at any time to do a job into Oregon, Texas, Pennsylvania, or any where else in the States, i usually have a days notice to get prepared.
I change my oil at any time between 5,000 to 6,500 miles, if i know a long trip is coming up, i will change it sooner

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I know that i will be driving from California to Connecticut & then into Ontario Canada & return to San Diego in July & August,
where abouts you headed in my neck of the woods??:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I took the interval and split it in half. This way I go my oil changes every 4 and the next four allows me to do a bigger service interval per the manual along with rotation as a result I stick with my service manual, but toss in an extra oil change every four.

I use regular oil from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
ive been doing all my oil changes at 5000 km regardless of what my suggested interval is in the manual (of course that is way more frequent than you guys in the US at 5000 miles)

i do my changes 4 times a year and have recently switched to a semi synthetic blend by kendall...i have never had any engine oil related issues in any of my cars, and everyone has had the oil changed at the 5000 km mark. very cheap insurance in my opinion.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
Thanks for the input huntergreen and GTyankee, I think I will go full synthetic on my first oil change. :D
i also use a k$n hp filter. the white one. i was always a 3000 mile oil change guy. as the oil capacity has increased, oil and filter quality has increased oci have been extended to the point where even 6500 miles is most likely changing it to soon, depending on the driving you do. for some knowledgeable info check out bob is the oil guy forum.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
i also use a k$n hp filter. the white one. i was always a 3000 mile oil change guy. as the oil capacity has increased, oil and filter quality has increased oci have been extended to the point where even 6500 miles is most likely changing it to soon, depending on the driving you do. for some knowledgeable info check out bob is the oil guy forum.

Thanks for the heads up huntergreen, will do

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yea, I'm a do it early & w/ less miles in between kinda guy & use some of the best stuff possible. It's paranoia perhaps but, I use synthetic man engineered oil from mobil1 & anything man makes is subject to inconsistency's that could mean a shorter life in the heart of your fire breathing hemi! that said I use synthetic 5 W20 extended perf & either a mobil1 filter or a bosch filter. My changes are made every 3,000 or just under but never later. I'll be damned if my engine lets go due to me being lazy or cheap. Let chrysler try & squeeze outta a warranty issue w/ that kinda service record. I'm all about take care of your toy's & they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Just remember guys....the oil is only as good as the filter you use. And I believe 5000 miles is about max for any filter.
That's dependent on driving habits/conditions but generally it's true.

·
Registered
19 Posts
good point on the filter. I use full synthetic in mine and change the oil every 5,000 miles. Like dac1959 said, if nothing else, it puts you on an oil change tire rotation schedule to simplify things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts