DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying this vehicle but it's not going to fly if I can't increase the towing capacity (regardless of what the sticker says).
VIN indicates the max towing is 15,620 lbs which feels low for a 3500. I may be right at this limit with a tiny house I am building.
Can I increase towing capacity by changing the front and rear axles to a 3.73? I'd really like a 4.10 but I don't think it's available for 4x4.
Is the manual trans limiting this at all? What can I do if I need to tow...say 15-18k lbs but don't want an auto trans?

·
Registered
312 Posts
What year?
Manual trans will come with de-tuned motor that makes less HP and torque than auto equivalent and I'm guessing it will also affect max tow.
Gearing will definitely affect this and 4.10 (or even lower) should be available, check aftermarket suppliers if 4.10 is not available through the dealer. 4wheelparts.com is one of the stores I could recommend.
I'd guess this truck is 2013 or older, as from 2014 there was a huge bump in payload and towing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I left out the year. These are 2016-2018 I'm looking at. There are a few 3500s with a tow rating over 30k, but the Ram site doesn't go into detail on what specific components get it up to 30k.

For example, from the ramtrucks towing guide: 2018 Ram 3500 Big Horn, 6.7L Cummins, 4x4, Mega Cab, 6'4" Box
AUTO 4.10: 30,120 lbs max towing (MSRP $50,035)
AUTO 4.10: 21,460 lbs max towing (MSRP $50,035)
Note that the above are apparently identical, and the price is identical, but the towing capacities are wildly different.
And the same model in a manual:
MANUAL 3.73: 17,420 lbs max towing (MSRP $49,890)

·
Registered
312 Posts
See the screenshot. I've highlighted the differences in towing between 3.42 and 4.10 on DRW diesels. Changing gears would definitely bump up the towing and it looks like 4.10 is available for DRW regardless of 2 or 4 WD.

Will going with manual really bump down the towing to 15,000+ lbs, I'm not sure, but like I said earlier, engines mated to manual transmission are de-tuned, see below.

Give dealer or 4wheelparts.com a call and ask about what gears are available for your particular rig, anyone here will only guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for the info! I would imagine there's a reason the engine is detuned for a manual. Maybe the clutch can't handle the torque.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts