DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 only gets 17mpg and often 15 and I wonder why? Even if I drive conservatively I cant get over 18. What could be the possible causes of this and what is the average mpg I should be getting, city, highway
and combined?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
34,300 Posts
If its really windy it can have an impact on MPGs. My mileage went down a bit in the last couple weeks when it got really humid too. I went for a run the other day and it was like running through soup

·
Registered
599 Posts
Overall, 17-18 is probably about average but my 14 Sport will get 20+ on the expressway. I'm running Michelin LTX's at 44 psi. I was shocked that on the trip to Indiana last week, I averaged over 21 mpg round trip. I've never observed expressway mileage that high before and temperatures were in the high 80's

13's also require a plug change IIRC at 30,000 miles or so if you have not done that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I use to get over 20 at times so I thought maybe its the fuel mixture that is not dialed in correctly cause I have done everything else. Plugs, air filter, injectors cleaned etc.
I do have about a 2-3 inch lift as a result of putting on Bilsteins and setting them at the max height. Had to put a spacer on the rear spring to match the front height. Not sure that makes a difference. I guess I'm going to have to take it in and have them check with the computer if everything is correct. It's all I can think of.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Since it's a 2013, I assume you kept up with maintenance and wear items like spark plugs, fuel filters, etc at regular intervals?

Sorry, I should have included that. Its a 6 speed.not lifted, running stock tires.
Well I use to get over 20 at times so I thought maybe its the fuel mixture that is not dialed in correctly cause I have done everything else. Plugs, air filter, injectors cleaned etc.
I do have about a 2-3 inch lift as a result of putting on Bilsteins and setting them at the max height.
so you do have a lift? That may be a big part of the answer.

A good example comes form the new F150. recently when they tested the F150 with the 3 liter diesel, people noticed that a 2WD is rated at 30mpg highway while a 4wd gets 25, and they started wondering why the gap between the 2wd and 4wd Ford is so much more than the gap between a 2wd and 4wd Ram ecodiesel. Turns out in addition to the slight driveline loss of having a front driveshaft, differential, etc, Ford lifts their 4wd quite a bit over a 2wd while Rams have very similar height between 2wd and 4wd. Assuming Ford has access similar to driveline technology, and since the added weight is negligible for highway driving, one can only conclude that the added ride height of the 4WD F-150 costs 5mpg highway.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Your Bilsteins set to max height (2.8") is certainly going to cause a loss of fuel economy, mostly noticed on the highway. If you're getting 17-18 on the highway, then you're right where you should be. I lost mpg's when I put on stock AT tires and 2.1" front lift; the best I could get was 18-19 on the highway. Before the change, I could get 20-21 mpg on the same roads.

Now that I have 34's, I get similar mpg's cruising the country roads at 40-50 mph as I do on the highway at 65-70. (around 17 mpg)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 only gets 17mpg and often 15 and I wonder why? Even if I drive conservatively I cant get over 18. What could be the possible causes of this and what is the average mpg I should be getting, city, highway
and combined?
Thanks

I have 2018 Dodge RAM 2500 SLT 4WD 8 Cylinders J 6.4L FI OHV Hemi, 20 in tires, with 3200 miles on it.

You are getting WAY better MPG than I. The dealer said "I have this truck & get close to 20 mpg on I10 from Junction to Kerrville, TX". .... NOT.
Anyway to get better MPG? I don't hot rod.
I'm doing good to get 14. Very disappointed in fuel mileage.

Also... we learned we could have purchased our warranty direct from MOPAR for $600 less than dealer.... TOO late.

We had a MEGA Cab. The Hemi is much smaller. Good truck but NOT HAPPY.

:i_rolleyes: (Old dogs slow to learn.)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have 2018 Dodge RAM 2500 SLT 4WD 8 Cylinders J 6.4L FI OHV Hemi, 20 in tires, with 3200 miles on it.

You are getting WAY better MPG than I. The dealer said "I have this truck & get close to 20 mpg on I10 from Junction to Kerrville, TX". .... NOT.
Anyway to get better MPG? I don't hot rod.
I'm doing good to get 14. Very disappointed in fuel mileage.
Your truck will probably ease into a bit better mileage as you put more miles on it, especially if you're getting 14 on the highway.

·
Premium Member
32,612 Posts
Any time now the MPG will be jumping a bit
The refineries will be changing over to Summer Blend gasoline

1 - 11 of 11 Posts