DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What is the maximum tire size on the factory OEM rims? I have a 2016 Ram Sport 1500 5.7 with black rims. Current tire size is 275 60 20

I just saw a truck with beautiful set of tires 305 55 20 and they look to be mounted on OEM rims... they look great and I want to upgrade without getting new rims.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I put a set of 305-55-20 on my truck. I did go with aftermarket rims 20x9 and was told they would fit on the OEM rims but I wanted different wheels.
Too Bad you aren't closer. I have a set of Cooper Tires for sale only 4,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Let me know how it goes because once my tires are done thinking of just keeping the OEM wheels for now and getting bigger tires.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
This will be my first winter too with a 2 inch wider tread but winter rated A/T tires. The only downgrade I am preparing for is the slushy wet snow hydroplaning. You'll need to be careful with your normal travel speed.

Heavier tire is also a downgrade, but wouldn't be considerable performance detriment .

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
The max one can safely go on the 20x9 (laramie and up) wheels is 35 x 12.50 x 20. On the 20x8 on the big horn and below, its probably a 285/65/20.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put 275/65/20s on my stock wheels. I got BF Goodrich AT Ko2s. they are great on smooth roads but a bit harsh on the war torn roads here in the Seattle area. They have the snowflake and jack the truck up about 1"( No level kit )

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
I just put 275/65/20s on my stock wheels. I got BF Goodrich AT Ko2s. they are great on smooth roads but a bit harsh on the war torn roads here in the Seattle area. They have the snowflake and jack the truck up about 1"( No level kit )
Do you have any pictures of that setup? A fair number of guys do 275/65/20s with a level but not many at stock height

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do you have any pictures of that setup? A fair number of guys do 275/65/20s with a level but not many at stock height
I run that same size, but with Dynapro ATm tires (also have the snowflake/mountain stamp), and no level. I will try and snap a picture this weekend.

·
Registered
119 Posts
275/65-20's will raise the truck 1/2" since the diameter is 1" bigger than stock. I have this size on a stock-suspensioned truck and they fit fine.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
34's on stock suspension.
That looks really good-a bit beefier in a subtle way. Do you have a pic of the whole side of the truck?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just saw a truck with beautiful set of tires 305 55 20 and they look to be mounted on OEM rims
I have a 2011 1500 sport with 305/55/20 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ and changed to Toyo Open Country A/T II 305/55/20.
Original owner plasma cut horrible looking, obviously unblanced 6mm thick steel wheel spacers as tire was rubbing slightly when doing full turn.
As the DY spacers create some vibrations i pulled them but now it rub's always on the inside of the tire on the upper arm.
I will install a 8mm thick wheel spacer to see if this eliminate the rubbing!
305/55/20 may work with the less widest tires of this group or you need a wheel spacer.
Chris
I probably have a 1 inch lift as under the coils are 1-1.5 high red blocks and i have a rancho 9000 xl shocks.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Here's mine, stock suspension with 285/65/20 KO2's. Works out to a 34.5 tall by 11 inch wide tire, no rubbing at all.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts