DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I LOVE my truck. No serious problems with it, and I do all my own work on it, and I LOVE it!

But, two long standing issues I have not been able to work out.

First is a periodic hiccup or miss. Dealer says he has heard of it, but no fix. Done it since new, and I would assume there are a hundred threads on here about it, but hiccup and miss did not bring up any results in the search.

Second, and this only happened once. When we were TRYING to evacuate from hurricane Rita, we were stuck in pretty much sitting still traffic for 12 hours. During that time, sitting and idling, the truck started to miss badly, and when I finally got a chance to make a carlength or two, it would spit, sputter, and act like it had no MAF sensor or something. I assumed spark plugs were fouling so I revved it for a few seconds, but it would just do it again a couple minutes later.

Never had to go through that again (bought a generator and window unit A/Cs and stay home during the storms now). But could these problems be related, and if so, what do I need to do to fix them?

Especially the hiccup. It happens rarely nowadays, but every now and then...:doh:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I LOVE my truck. No serious problems with it, and I do all my own work on it, and I LOVE it!

But, two long standing issues I have not been able to work out.

First is a periodic hiccup or miss. Dealer says he has heard of it, but no fix. Done it since new, and I would assume there are a hundred threads on here about it, but hiccup and miss did not bring up any results in the search.

Second, and this only happened once. When we were TRYING to evacuate from hurricane Rita, we were stuck in pretty much sitting still traffic for 12 hours. During that time, sitting and idling, the truck started to miss badly, and when I finally got a chance to make a carlength or two, it would spit, sputter, and act like it had no MAF sensor or something. I assumed spark plugs were fouling so I revved it for a few seconds, but it would just do it again a couple minutes later.

Never had to go through that again (bought a generator and window unit A/Cs and stay home during the storms now). But could these problems be related, and if so, what do I need to do to fix them?

Especially the hiccup. It happens rarely nowadays, but every now and then...:doh:
Ewwy this is a tricky one... Well causes for a misfire can be anything from timing to clogged fuel line.

So I would look into doing a vacuum test which may be able to help you with timing just a little bit. You can plug in the vacuum tester into the brake booster vacuum hose connector.

I would also be interested into how many miles you have on it, it is possible but people call me crazy but look into having a valve job done if it's high mileage and if you do decide to go that road be sure to replace the gaskets intake, exhaust, head, and plenum would be smart while at it.

Another good thing part of a tune up really is to clean your throttle body, Use carb cleaner valuecraft from autozone only 1.99 works great I tell you. Make sure to remove the sensors when you clean the TB and clean the Idle stop solenoid tip as well, this should help it idle alot better.

Though may be unrelated but don't let your tank go low to the light turns on, this will make the pump work harder because the pump is no longer using the effects of gravity on a large body of fluid but now is doing the work to keep the fuel pressure up. So keep the tank around half tank cause again less fuel means more work for that pump.

Anyways it would be wise to use a fuel injector cleaner like Valvoline Fuel Inject plus Intake Valve cleaner, you can get it around 4.50 from advanced auto parts. Use it every 3000 miles, good to keep the fuel injectors squirting.

But first start out with cleaning the throttle body and do a fuel injector cleaning. If it misfires at idle and their are no foul spark plugs then look into having each fuel injector tested. One way to test is to have a fuel pressure gauge attached to the rail then to allow the pump to pressurize this will make the needle on the test gauge go up then put a small 12V to the fuel injector and if the pressure decreases rapidly it's a good fuel injector if it decreases very slow then it's no good. They make tools to apply power of course.

Moving on to the spark plugs just check for what type of fouling they are if they're oil foul carbon foul so on. Make sure to torque the spark plugs to specs for sake of doing it right lol...

Any more help just ask us

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Lots of info there.

Here is what I have been doing.

I swap plugs every 50k. throttle body comes off and all the crud is removed with q-tips and carb cleaner. Until I can see my reflection in the plate!

I clean out the entire intake and get all dust, grime, etc out. clean off the sensors to the best of my ability.

Every oil change also gets a dose of Lucas injector cleaner in the tank.

As far as intake, that is about the bulk of what I do.

The intermittent miss has happened since it was new. Used to happen 2-4 times a week, just one bump as I was driving, usually while accelerating around 3rd or 4th gear after leaving a light. Over time, it happens MUCH less. I probably get only one bump every 3 or 4 months now.

So really, the problem is pretty much gone, but I was hoping there was a fix for it so it would go away forever, with no threats of coming back.

Currently 182,000 miles. So....I guess not a really big deal.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Wow! Lots of info there.

Here is what I have been doing.

I swap plugs every 50k. throttle body comes off and all the crud is removed with q-tips and carb cleaner. Until I can see my reflection in the plate!

I clean out the entire intake and get all dust, grime, etc out. clean off the sensors to the best of my ability.

Every oil change also gets a dose of Lucas injector cleaner in the tank.

As far as intake, that is about the bulk of what I do.

The intermittent miss has happened since it was new. Used to happen 2-4 times a week, just one bump as I was driving, usually while accelerating around 3rd or 4th gear after leaving a light. Over time, it happens MUCH less. I probably get only one bump every 3 or 4 months now.

So really, the problem is pretty much gone, but I was hoping there was a fix for it so it would go away forever, with no threats of coming back.

Currently 182,000 miles. So....I guess not a really big deal.

Play it safe and change plugs every 12K miles, I prefer personally to use OEM Equivalent Plugs, I use Bosch Copper Plus. Be sure to check the gap don't believe they are gapped right even if they're pre gapped.

Lucas is good stuff but I moved to valvoline.

You have alot of miles. I got a 1995 with only 122,596! Not bad for a 95 :p

I would still do a vacuum test and fuel pressure test just for the sake of being thorough and for the sake of 188K miles. Little gauges can tell you alot even though it all sounds good.

Their is little I can do to really help you fix the truck for life because I'm over here you're over there. Anywho for general maintain stuff change your gear oil out, always good to change gear oil. I just did mine, it needed it, oil came out black. New oil was like Ice Tea colour so theres comparison haha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts