DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,
I've got a question or two for some more mechanically inclined ram owners out there. We have around 85K(?) miles on it now and am only getting around 300-310 miles to the tank (27gal) with combined city/hwy driving...mainly city. We use to get 330 miles in the city only. It's an '05 1500 4x4 5.7L. I've changed the plugs around 55k miles to E-3 plugs (100K mile warranty), about to change the oil next month again, have a CAI w/clean filter, & aero turbine exhaust, rotate tires every 4-5K miles, and have the front end leveled with the back (brought the front up 2"). Mileage was the same as now before I leveled the truck. On our trip to Colorado (from Oklahoma) the truck was getting 400-405 miles/tank in the city in Colorado. Not sure why that is since the air is thinner...my only guess is it likes the colder air since we were higher at a elevation.

I have been thinking about getting a BT billet catch can for the truck or getting something b/c there is oil gunk building up in the throttle body (I'll try to get pics by this weekend if able) and I would like to avert that as much as possible. Hopefully that would make a difference. There are no leaks that I know of on the truck. How should I clean the throttle body, is there anything else I need to clean/replace for a tune up like the AIT sensor and what should I use to clean it/them? Would the O2 sensors be going bad even if there is no code? I've been told they shouldn't be replaced until there is a code otherwise they should be good till 100K miles. We really don't want to sell the truck but I'm about tired of putting $100/wk for gas and it not filling up completely. Any help is greatly appreciated. Maybe a Prius would be good??? :LOL:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you use ethanol added gas? I have noticed this stuff doesn't last for shit in my truck.
Heck no brother! I tried that one time a long time ago and it decreased my mileage...well, to about what it is right now. :LOL: Since then I've only put in the premium 100% gas. It runs smoother and gets better mileage than 87 octane.

Oh, I actually have almost 94K miles on the truck...a tad more than I thought the other day. I called to get the price for the gaskets today and for the upper and lower throttle body gaskets, it will cost about $30 so I think I will try to do that this weekend given the time and good weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts