DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understand, on the 5 speed trannys, you could just bump the shift once to the left to put it in "5" and that disables the MDS.

On our 2012s, if you bump it once to the left, it goes to "1"...would I then bump it to the right 5 times until it displays "6" to disable MDS?

·
Registered
307 Posts
correct.... the shifter will go to the current gear you are in.... so if you were at cruising speed and hit the shifter, you would go into '6'.

Darin

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I like to stay in 4 or 5 sometimes when in the city. I get better throttle response. I'm sure it has a slight hit on MPG.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Doing this does not disable MDS. All it does is pick the top gear you want to drive in just like downshifting. Has nothing to do with MDS.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In order to off the MDS all you have to do is put the truck into Tow/Haul and it will give full power until you turn it off.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
on my '09 with the 545RFE 5 speed
the MDS is enabled only in the highest gear, 5th over drive
If my EVIC reads Fuel Saver, the MDS is engaged
On the 2010 & newer Rams, it will read ECO instead of Fuel Saver

look at the light beside the odometer

http://imageshack.us/f/829/img0620nv.jpg/

·
Registered
58 Posts
On the 2012 RAM's if you put it into Tow/Haul the engine will not go into "eco" mode which is the name they have for it when it shuts off 4 cylinders. Also MDS is not a mode it is a type of ENGINE, MDS (Multiple Displacement) engine, "eco" is the mode you are trying to avoid where is shuts off the cylinders, Correct? So put it into Tow/Haul and give it a try I bet you never go into "eco" mode. On the 2012 I am not sure what you are driving. Either way I hope this helps and you get everything figured out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
When you turn ON tow/haul my truck WILL go into eco mode still. Only if you have it manually shifted in gears 1-6, then ECO will stay off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
doing this does not disable mds. All it does is pick the top gear you want to drive in just like downshifting. Has nothing to do with mds.
actually it does i have been playing with the gear selector for about a week now and manually choosing your gears does disable the mds. If you manually choose your gears and put in sixth and get on the highway and set your cruise on 65 with the gear selector in 6 and ride and then bump it up one more time till there is no gear in the selector window it instantly go into mds, no only will you feel it you will hear it kick in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
reading some of these post and yesterday morning i did switch it to 5th gear... and the response was alot better than in the regular drive... it picked up very fast... not sure about the mds thing, but it picks up extremely well... is there any downfall to riding like this on the regular???

·
Registered
418 Posts
reading some of these post and yesterday morning i did switch it to 5th gear... and the response was alot better than in the regular drive... it picked up very fast... not sure about the mds thing, but it picks up extremely well... is there any downfall to riding like this on the regular???
No, not at all....except maybe a bit of a loss in mpg. Like your 8 cylinders? Use em all the time if you want. It won't hurt

1 - 20 of 68 Posts